Yamaha 4stroke vs Mercury Verado

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
The supercharger in my mustang turns all of the time, as it is directly driven by the main belt -

It is interesting to note that Ford keeps full warrenty on these motors that are supercharged - provided that the boost pressure is not increased -

This tells me that boost pressure seems to be directly related to engine life - Maybe the boost on marine applications is low

Tim

The only way you can adjust boost without throwing a rod is you have to manage the ecu outputs. Nobody does this that I know of as an outboard tuner. The old carbed stuff was easy but not anymore. Now on your mustang just bring it to a reputable tuner and he could increase your hp by 50 just thru tuning solutions.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The extra power shouldn't hurt the rods. Compression is much easier on them than the forces on the rod bolts from high RPM's. As the power goes up, you have the problem of sealing the extra cyl. pressure. Also with the added boost, you get detonation easier and if the knock sesnor doesn't pull enough timing or it happens too fast, you can wipe out a piston.

Done the right way you can get some crazy power from a little engine, look at the Subabru's. Although who knows how long they'll last especially with idiots barking the turbo all the time to sound "cool".