1989 Tournament 19 Foam Removal

dmmaakkii

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I have the titled boat that seems heavy. The water laps at the scuppers and above the deck with bodies in the stern. The deck seems solid everywhere. The transom seems solid.

Is it possible the boat is full of wet foam?

If I wanted to attempt to remove as much wet foam as possible what’s the best method?

If the fuel tank is out can I hole-saw through those stringers and patch the holes after?

Any idea if there are additional stringers outboard of the fuel tank stringers?

Attachments

• IMG_4563.jpeg
    IMG_4563.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12

seasick

Reaction score
What motor is on it now and what was the original motor model. Could be added weight of motor.
How many bodies in the back and is one or more the incredible Hulk?
Seriously though, it's a small boat and extra weight aft will charge how it sits
1. you do not want to remove foam.
2 you would not want to reduce the strength of stringers by drilling holes to remove the foam
3. There are stringers outside of the tank stringers? Probably so. I am not sure.
Remember that a hull full of wet foam weights less than a hull full of water. If you have excessive weight do to water intrusion and right now you haven't given any solid evidence that you do, you need to find out where the water is coming from before anything else.

By the way, are your buddies feet getting wet? If so, check the scupper flapper rubbers and probably replace them.

dmmaakkii

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
What motor is on it now and what was the original motor model. Could be added weight of motor.
How many bodies in the back and is one or more the incredible Hulk?
Seriously though, it's a small boat and extra weight aft will charge how it sits
1. you do not want to remove foam.
2 you would not want to reduce the strength of stringers by drilling holes to remove the foam
3. There are stringers outside of the tank stringers? Probably so. I am not sure.
Remember that a hull full of wet foam weights less than a hull full of water. If you have excessive weight do to water intrusion and right now you haven't given any solid evidence that you do, you need to find out where the water is coming from before anything else.

By the way, are your buddies feet getting wet? If so, check the scupper flapper rubbers and probably replace them.
The swim ladder is submerged all the time and the deck floods with me and a four year old standing at the motor well. There’s a Yamaha F150 which weighs 500#. A 200 hp Evinrude weighed 450 in 1989. Theres 1/4 tank of fuel and one battery on the deck. I’ve made a living fixing boats for twenty years.

Reactions: jip40

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Then the F150 is not the problem, 50lbs does not make a difference to notice.
My 98 BW 23 Outrage did the same when i repowered from first twin Yamaha carburated to twin 150 HDPI and particularly when i repowered again with twin F150. The boats has 100% no water in foam as it was only a few years old, it's just the problem with older hulls not designed for heavier 4 strokes.

To figure out if your boat/foam is waterlogged the easies test is to weight the boat and verify with manufacturer data, it will be a bit fuzzy, but enough to understand if large quantities of water are inside the boat.

Not sure about the Tournament, but there should not be a lot of foam in the stern, but you should see that.
If there is no foam in the stern area then the boat should be heavier, but not stern heavy as the wet foam is more foreward, however, the boat would be deeper as usual.

As i fear that there is no access to the foam you would need to cut access holes to reach the foam, if that is worth is your decision.

On older BW where foam is between the two hulls and boat is considerable more heavy as she should be, owners drill holes in the hull to drain the water. To do some pilot holes in the correct position would show quickly if water is present, but you would need to drill holes thru the hull.

Chris

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Start with pulling up the deck section over the tank and looking around. A lot of times that deck piece could be waterlogged too.

seasick

Reaction score
The swim ladder is submerged all the time and the deck floods with me and a four year old standing at the motor well. There’s a Yamaha F150 which weighs 500#. A 200 hp Evinrude weighed 450 in 1989. Theres 1/4 tank of fuel and one battery on the deck. I’ve made a living fixing boats for twenty years.
That info helps. It probably would have narrowed my suggestions had it been included in the post. If it was and I missed it, my apologies'.

dmmaakkii

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Start with pulling up the deck section over the tank and looking around. A lot of times that deck piece could be waterlogged too.
Thanks. It’s still loose from the previous owner. It’s definitely heavy and I’m sure it all contributes.

dmmaakkii

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Then the F150 is not the problem, 50lbs does not make a difference to notice.
My 98 BW 23 Outrage did the same when i repowered from first twin Yamaha carburated to twin 150 HDPI and particularly when i repowered again with twin F150. The boats has 100% no water in foam as it was only a few years old, it's just the problem with older hulls not designed for heavier 4 strokes.

To figure out if your boat/foam is waterlogged the easies test is to weight the boat and verify with manufacturer data, it will be a bit fuzzy, but enough to understand if large quantities of water are inside the boat.

Not sure about the Tournament, but there should not be a lot of foam in the stern, but you should see that.
If there is no foam in the stern area then the boat should be heavier, but not stern heavy as the wet foam is more foreward, however, the boat would be deeper as usual.

As i fear that there is no access to the foam you would need to cut access holes to reach the foam, if that is worth is your decision.

On older BW where foam is between the two hulls and boat is considerable more heavy as she should be, owners drill holes in the hull to drain the water. To do some pilot holes in the correct position would show quickly if water is present, but you would need to drill holes thru the hull.

Chris
Thanks. I had found the original specs. I’d have to weigh the boat and then weigh the trailer I guess. I may make one test hole somewhere hidden and see what I find.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
FWIW, I have a 180 that I wanted to install a shoot thru hull transducer in so I put a hatch in the deck in front of the motor well. I think they use closed cell foam since there's always some water in the bilge but the foam doesn't absorb it.
Also, if I stand alone in front of my motor, water comes in the scuppers.

IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0043.jpg

dmmaakkii

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
FWIW, I have a 180 that I wanted to install a shoot thru hull transducer in so I put a hatch in the deck in front of the motor well. I think they use closed cell foam since there's always some water in the bilge but the foam doesn't absorb it.
Also, if I stand alone in front of my motor, water comes in the scuppers.

View attachment 34959
View attachment 34960
Thank you.