2004 282 Sailfish Repower--Mercury 300 V8's

Gator Bait

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Long time lurker, don't post much but figured I would post me repower results. Boat had tired 2002 F200's and I didn't really realize how under powered I was, but now it's a rocket ship. It's truly like having a brand new boat! Rides and handles so much better, I'm blown away.

There are Mercury 4-stroke 300 CMS V8's (not Verado). They chose Revolution 4 20p props, I top out in the river/calm around 54mph at 5400 rpm.

I also changed over to Optimus full electric steering, which is also amazing. Other upgrades I did now include moving the GO12 to a panel I made where the old gauges were and making a panel to mount a new NSS12Evo3s where the radio box was. The Optimus steering screen is also on this panel but not in the pics.

The screen shot of the GO12 shows me running across the Chesapeake Bay yesterday in a 2 foot chop. I was running around 4000 rpm's around 37-38 mph getting 1.8 mpg. I used to cruise around 30mph at 1.7 mpg.

Also replaced all of the original/corroded GW rod holder with Gemlux HD screwless and the rear cupholders with the Gemlux cup/rod holders.

Finally they did remove the aluminum angle on the transom, resealed with lots of 5200 and epoxy I believe and made a new aluminum piece. Also they replaced the splash drains with Gemlux 1.5" SS ones and we removed the flappers. As you can see those scuppers are higher out of the water than they used to be, these motors are around 200 lbs less combined on the transom.

Attachments

• IMG_4618.jpg
    IMG_4618.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4595.jpg
    IMG_4595.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4596.jpg
    IMG_4596.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4737.jpg
    IMG_4737.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4710.jpg
    IMG_4710.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4414 (1).jpg
    IMG_4414 (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
awesome, that should be a good combo. just wondering though, 5,400 rpm seems a pretty low for WOT unless you were really loaded down. shouldnt you be closer to 6k?

Gator Bait

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It's within the recommended range for WOT and that is full of fuel, 220 gallons. If I dropped pitch it would probably spin higher. I've thought about experimenting with some props, but love how it handles and rides so much I may leave it alone. One thing I told him i would like is to be able to plane on one engine since I fish 75 miles out often, so I think the 20 pitch might be able to pull that off since the bite is so good out of the hole. I haven't tried it yet though, I'm curious if I will be able to plane on one engine and will be trying it soon now that I'm finished breaking them in. Also the Enertia Eco props may give better fuel economy, but again I'm not sure if they would get up to plane as fast.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Congrats on the new horses!
I know you said you are heavily loaded, but you are over propped. I would drop to an 18.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
It's within the recommended range for WOT and that is full of fuel, 220 gallons. If I dropped pitch it would probably spin higher. I've thought about experimenting with some props, but love how it handles and rides so much I may leave it alone. One thing I told him i would like is to be able to plane on one engine since I fish 75 miles out often, so I think the 20 pitch might be able to pull that off since the bite is so good out of the hole. I haven't tried it yet though, I'm curious if I will be able to plane on one engine and will be trying it soon now that I'm finished breaking them in. Also the Enertia Eco props may give better fuel economy, but again I'm not sure if they would get up to plane as fast.
so, full of fuel and 5400 rpm...what about full fuel, ice, gear, and a few guys? i always prefer an engine to be working easier than harder. a lower pitch prop would give you better hole shot and get your wot closer to 6k.