2021 306 Canyon Anchor Chain

ACV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
My anchor chain is getting stuck in the well which stops it from deploying when dropping the anchor. Has anyone else had this issue on the 306 and if so what was the fix? I am thinking off putting foam into the bottom of the well to raise it. ‍♂️

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Usually the problem is too much anchor line in the anchor locker. Spread the line out in the locker and see if it works better. Verify you have the correct chain to match the windlass you have too.

ACV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Usually the problem is too much anchor line in the anchor locker. Spread the line out in the locker and see if it works better. Verify you have the correct chain to match the windlass you have too.
The boat only had 12ft of chain which is totally inadequate so I added some. There is only about 150 ft rope so not much. The well slants aft which it is gathering into when under way and hence is trapping the chain.

seasick

Reaction score
Thought 1:
you added chain? Did you check that the added chain is the correct spec for your windlass? Did you keep the old chain and add more chain to it? If so how did you splice the new chain and rode to the old chain.
Thought 2;
As your line (not chain) ages it tends to get stiffer. The stiffer line does not lay flat as easily as more pliant line does. It tends to pile up and will reduce the downward pull from the windlass capstan/ That r3esults in line slip and capstan jamming. Adding foam to raise the bottom of the well will only make your problem worse. Stiff line often can be softened by rinsing it and soaking it over night in a pail/tub of warm water and fabric softener. If the line won't soften, it's time for new line and chain if you don't wan to deal with splicing

Reactions: PointedRose

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thought 1:
you added chain? Did you check that the added chain is the correct spec for your windlass? Did you keep the old chain and add more chain to it? If so how did you splice the new chain and rode to the old chain.
Thought 2;
As your line (not chain) ages it tends to get stiffer. The stiffer line does not lay flat as easily as more pliant line does. It tends to pile up and will reduce the downward pull from the windlass capstan/ That r3esults in line slip and capstan jamming. Adding foam to raise the bottom of the well will only make your problem worse. Stiff line often can be softened by rinsing it and soaking it over night in a pail/tub of warm water and fabric softener. If the line won't soften, it's time for new line and chain if you don't wan to deal with splicing
Just replaced my 1/2" 8-plait 200' anchor rode with a new Lewmar rode. Old line was stiff and so tight it was not spliceable anymore. Took it out to reverse it and other end was worse - I must have reversed it before. Old one was about 250' but it was too much for my anchor locker. If I put most of it out I could retrieve most of it but it would stop feeding. I would have to go up on bow and shuffle the line around. Especially bad at the rope/chain splice. The windlass like have the line/chain dropping down into locker.

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The windlass lifts the chain straight up out of the anchor locker, the weight of the anchor deploys the chain from the windlass to the water. Which side of the windless is your problem on? What is the weight of your anchor, sounds like you might be using a lightweight such as a Fortress.
If your windlass will raise the anchor, and 12 feet of chain from off the bottom, it should have no problem lifting three or 4 feet of chain out of your anchor locker. When my old Lewmar gets jammed on that side of the windlass, it is a solid thump that feels like it’s going to rip a hole in the deck.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I am a bit confused. Is the problem during deployment or during retrieving? Can you post a picture of your splice especially if that is where the line hangs up.
Your windlass specs should include a number for the amount of drop you need to have in your locker. Let's say it is 10 inches. If your line piles up closer to the windlass than the specified minimum your windlass may not work correctly. If the pile of line is the issue, retrieving should have more issues than deploying ( assuming the line is not super stiff).
If you problem occurs when the splice gets to the windlass, most likely your splice needs to be reworked, If the jamming occurs mostly when the chain is being fed through the capstan, then your chain type may not be correct for your capstan.
It is possible that your locker is too small for the amount of line. You can pull out 50 feet or so of the line and leave it on the deck temporarily to see if the windlass works better.

Just to cover all bases, if your model windlass has a spring loaded control arm ( as many of the Lewmars do) check to see that it is operating correctly.
There should be a chain type code marking on the chain links, What does it say? If when the chain is being run through the capstan, you see the links popping out and in or the control lever is really jumping in and out, your chain is probably incorrect spec.

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, need a better explanation of, “My anchor chain is getting stuck in the well“. On a previous tournament, I had two or 3 inches of threaded U-bolt sticking into the anchor locker from the bow eye, and sometimes the chain or rode would catch on it. I fixed that problem with a short piece of thick walled rubber tubing, connecting the twothreaded rods.