208 vs. 228 choice

michael hastings

Reaction score
I'd appreciate some input on a decision between a GW 208 and the 228. I plan to fish in SE Alaska, mostly on the inner edges but some on the outer edges. There will be a few nights spent on the boat. I also hope to use it as a family recreation boat. I will have to tow them. Any advice?

michael hastings

Reaction score
208/228

Thanks for replying. Since I'm a boat rookie, I don't know the value of the 228's engine bracket. Also, I'm not sure how much more stable a 22' is compared to a 20'. The same would apply to the significance of the increased towing weight. I think that the 228 is an extra 600 pounds.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've owned both...although the bare hull weight may only be 600 lbs more, the 228 carries more fuel (either 92 or 148 if you get the aux. tank), may have a hardtop (this is a 500-600 lb difference), and will require a heavier trailer.

My 208, with a full tank of fuel on the trailer, weighed in at around 5200 lbs (including the trailer.) Both the 226 and 228 I had weighed in around 6500 lbs or so.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If cost is not an issue, nor weight, always go with the bigger boat. Go as big as you can afford and can afford to tow.

There's a 226 (notched transom) and the 228 (bracket). Both are good boats, some nod to the bracket model for sea keeping abilities in a following sea. It does add quite a bit of length for storing or mooring though.

The cabin on the 208 is barely minimal for overnighting. We've done it once, wifey said "When are you buying me a bigger boat?" You have to put the potti in the cockpit. It's do-able, but it's pretty basic 'camping'.

We went with the 208 as our motorhome max towing is 5K lbs. Problem now is that we only towed with the coach once last year. We thought we'd go to the river fairly often, but with gas so high it's a $350 bill for a trip, so we've been staying local. We have a big ocean and a lot of shorline to explore right in our own backyard.

Oh my, fishing in Alaska....you are one lucky fisherman!
The Grady's ride great and are built with outstanding quality. Certainly the right brand for your water up there.

michael hastings

Reaction score
208/228

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I really appreciate the perspectives that I've received. I'm leaning towards the 228. Even though the cabin will be cramped for either, it would be better than tenting on a bear infested island!

What value is the anchor pulpit?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: 208/228

michael hastings said:
>snip
What value is the anchor pulpit?

If you plan to do a lot of anchoring its a very handy option. The anchor is always ready to run - more or less self-deploying, and there's room for a windlass if you go that way. And your locker can hold more rode because you're not stuffing the anchor in there with it. If I had a pulpit I would run more rode (300' vs 200'), heavier rode (1/2" instead of 7/16") and more chain (40' vs 25'). You can never have too much ground tackle.

The downside is the added length for moorage if you're charged by the foot, and they can get in the way for ramp launching from a trailer. Some have been known to make contact with the winch stand. Plus they are fairly expensive.

Grady does a really nice job with the anchor locker. For my use it's quite adequate. For a bigger boat where I was using it for a lot of cruising, and had heavier ground tackle, a windlass and pulpit would be a must. My back can't hack it!

Edit: BTW, some of us have added a stainless roller bracket off the nose which really helps with anchor handling on these smaller boats. I went with this one:
2674.jpg

It keeps the rode off the rub rail and makes it easy to haul in. The deck has plywood backing up there and it's an easy thru-bolt.

Reaction score
Anchor Pulpit

I have the anchor pulpit on my 208 and like it a lot.

Makes setting anchor easier, keeps anchor and ground tackle away from the bow.

Plus I like the look, only an opinion.

I use it to cast from for blues and stripers but not sure that qualifies as a good reason tp buy one. 8)

Does add to your fee's at the dock.

Jim from Maine