283 Release wet ride

organized chaos

Reaction score
I have a 2006 283 Release and have been out on this boat now twice and both times have been in 3 -4 foot seas. I have been to say the least dissapointed with how wet this boat is in these conditions. I have tried to trim the engines as much as possible and still this boat takes on water. Does anyone have any ideas. I moved up from a 1984 21ft Mako and at this point I want that old boat back. I am ready to sell but I love the layout of this boat and do not want to give up without trying everything I can to improve the ride (by this I mean staying dry inside this boat).

Kevcros

Reaction score
Depending on the wind/ sea conditions, ANY CC boat will be wet at times--the 283 is no wetter than any other boat--

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Gradys are not for everyone, hence the need for comparison shopping and sea trialing. Too late now.

Perhaps you can get curtains rigged across to the gunnel and sweep back past the helm, with a walk thru flap to get to the bow. Very common setup.

TunaT

Reaction score

chaos...I run the 273, just about the same size as you. I get wet, but its not from the boat, but from the wind driven spray. I actually had a 20 mako with the semi-deep v front and would make runs out for tuna in it. Did I get wet? yes, again it really wasn't the boat it was the spray being blown back on me, but then again I was lucky to be running at 18-20 mph, with the grady given the same sea conditions I'm running 30+. When I compare the two as far as getting wet, I find the grady alot better especially given the speed and fishability of the boat vs the old mako. I don't think there is a CC out there that will keep you totally dry....to help me I added 5 pieces of plastic to the t-top, 3 for the console and 2 more from the console to gunnel, racked back to be even with the leaning post, that has fixed most of the being wet...when slow down or stop ... the 2 wings roll up under t-top and out of way. That is the only way I know to stop the spray from really getting to you and your companions.

Kevcros

Reaction score
BobP makes a good point-- A 29 Regulator will probably be a bit better in a hard sea than the 28 Grady-- The difference is that you have an extra 1' or so of beam on the deep v guys-- I remember when i had the 283 and the first few outings were wetter than expected (coming from a 22')-- After i got a handle of the trim in various sea conditions and optimum speeds, i was very (VERY) satisfied with the boat---

My suggestion, dress appropriately (wet gear) and test the boat for a full day in less than ideal conditions-- Play with the speed/ rpm and adjust to find the "comfort" zone-- You WILL like this boat--

liz

Reaction score
I also have a 2006 283 Release. I love the boat but there is no trim and tab setting that will make it dry, especially downsea. Slowing down will help where in my Seacraft and Mako speeding up helped. I think it is the nature of the hull, everything is a tradeoff. I have run the boat many hours in various sea and wind conditions and all I can say is there will always be some wetness if it is over an honest two feet and bring a snorkel if you are running downsea in 3+ footers less that 10 seconds. I do love the boat but take it with a grain of salt when lots of people blame the ride on you not knowing how to trim the boat. It is not a jet aircraft and you can control throttle, tabs and engine trim and that's it. I try all kind of combinations and go as fast as I can stand. Love the boat but get plenty wet and it is not all wind blown spray by a long shot. My experience with the same boat you have for what it is or isn't worth. Glad to hear I'm not alone.

striped bass

Reaction score
Chaos:
I have been out in 3 - 4 chop in many CC sport fishing vessels and have found that once the chop gets close to 4 feet it is difficult to keep dry. You will need to graduate to an enclosed cabin vessel or something like a Blackfin 29 Combi to keep dry but even then you will need the Blackfin enclosure curtains. I would give it some time and experiment before you dump the Grady.

jbukie

Reaction score
I own an '03 222 and i'm looking for some type of canvas set up that bobp explained. Walk thru flaps to the bow with side flaps at the gunnel. I'm also looking for 3 sided enclosure curtains for the console. Anybody know where i can get there or have them for sale?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The only way to run downsea in any kind of chop at all is tabs up, engine trimmed to keep the bow up. If you plow into the back of a wave then water will fly. I don't care what kind of boat you have. Your options are to slow down and/or get an enclosure.

Wanna get really wet? Run a deep V beam to in short chop. Sure they will plow a head sea but that will become a liability in the trough. One trick is to trim up the windward side but it is a little hairy running unlevel in rolling side seas.

FTR: I had the 272 version of the same hull. I found it to toss much less water then my friend's deep V but he could run faster in a headsea. It's all about tradeoffs.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Never been in a 283, but i had a 306 for two years and she was amazing.NEVER got wet in that boat,except wind driven spray.Took me a while to learn how to drive the boat in 4-6 Long Island chop, but i found her sweet spot.Reason of change was admiral wanted a cabin for overnights.If i had to do it again i would buy the 306 again, or maybe the 336 :mrgreen:
Down seas IS the trickiest part of the whole ordeal, but when you find her spot, you will love the boat.Good luck.
P.S had a 26 regulator, SWEET boat, but some times i needed an umbrella.

organized chaos

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for all there comments I feel that Liz hit the nail on the head. I by the way also contacted Grady White who said that a check of the way the engines were installed would be something worth checking.