'86 Tournament 22 - Repower Question, Update Questions

DenisO

Reaction score
New to site and also new to G-W. Bought a Tournamnet 22 with '87 200 Johnson four years ago. Too many engine repairs ($,000+ to date) and too much anxiety. Wanting to repower with a new 200 - 225 Evenrude etec. Opinions please.

Any thoughts on this particular year Tournament 22? Is it worth upgrading? Paid $8,000 four years ago and like the room and look of boat...Far better than the 1979 Thunderbird 19 I had for the eighteen years previous!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Go ahead and repower if you like the condition of the boat and are cognizant of expected/possible maintenance items for a 22 year old Grady. I bought an '86 with a 2 year old Honda, and the owner saw me coming. Three years and many thousands of dollars later, I very happy with the boat .. except the motor is now 5 years old and has several hundred more hours. On tap for this winter is a complete rewire ... :?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good motor, good warranty, good weight.

Expensive upgrade pays if you intend to keep the boat, not sell it soon.

DenisO

Reaction score
'86 Tournament 22 Repower

Figured when repoweering with a new Evinrude etec that I'd also replace fuel tank and lines and rewire at the same time. I am not very hands-on. How expensive is a new fuel tank jon and rewire. My guy is very good and charges $65/hour

DenisO

Reaction score
Right now I have no electronics on board at all. Looking to put in washdown pump, radio, fishfinder, gps, stereo/cd. Given the engine issues, I am assuming the worst for financial planning

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Your hull should already be wired with an auxiliary fuse panel (on both sides of the cockpit), so should be a simple matter to install electronics. Since you'll have the hatch(s) removed for the tank work, might be a great time to have the hatch(s) recored and new deck plates installed.

I spent $1100 on my tank refit, and did the work myself. Be sitting down when pricing A1 fuel hose ... :wink:

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:
Be sitting down when pricing A1 fuel hose ... :wink:

Between the fill, vent, and supply lines, they prefer you grabbing your ankles.