anchor line - twisted

danothemano

Reaction score
what's the best way to untwist / untangle an anchor line ?

i have a 2000 islander with a lewmar pro series 700 windlass and the anchor line seems a bit twisted when i'm pulling it in. any thoughts on how to straighten the line ?

Stonewall

Reaction score
It's a pain in the butt, however the best way is to take it all out of the locker and lay it out straight. Pull it tight and the twists will come out (on the dock or in a parking lot) Then reload it.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
Stonewall said:
It's a pain in the butt, however the best way is to take it all out of the locker and lay it out straight. Pull it tight and the twists will come out (on the dock or in a parking lot) Then reload it.

prepare yourself it could be a long day of it!

tiderunner

Reaction score
I usually dangle it off of a high roof and let gravity do its thing . Usually take a couple of minutes .

Absolute

Reaction score
As one of the other guys mentioned get a swivel shackle where the anchor attaches to the chain. This will also help with the anchor always loading the correct way up when coming onto your bow rollers or bow sprit. This will also help with the anchor setting correctly and not upside down when you anchor.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Try the same approach that is used to take twists out of fishing line. Go off shore disconnect the end of the anchor line from the well and feed it overboard while at idling speed, leave the anchor and chain in the boat. Once you have it all overboard cleat it and drag it a 5-10 mph for about ten minutes or so and the twists will be gone. Understand that dragging 300' of line though the water will impart a lot of force back through it so make sure you cleat it off well. PS make sure you are the only boat around for the obvious and for the not so obvious that if someone sees you doing this they might toss you in the loony bin.

B8CASTR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Something that will help prevent the twist is at the beginning of the season take your line and soak it in water to which fabric softener has been added. Let it soak for abot 24 hours, remove it, lay it out to dry and then replace it in your locker. Helps to keep ypur line more supple.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
LINE TWIST

Another trick is to splice a thimble into the end of the line and rotate it every year, extending the life of your line. (you use the same 50'-100' over & over). Also, the "new" end is much more supple and less prone to line twist.

ahill

Reaction score
I changed my galvanized bulky swivel to a trim stainless one that spins like a Sampo swivel. I still get a minor amount of twist. Is there a trick to retrieval that will reduce twist?