bunk guides

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
One thing that happens to me almost every time is I get it winched on, pull it up the ramp, and it is an inch or two off the rubber whatever you call that. So I've taken to getting up 5mph or slower, stomp on the brakes, it slides forward. Do you guys do that or what do you do for that gap?
Yes, I've done the brake stomp thing when needed, however it is rarely needed. I think you may be too far in the water - if the back end of the boat is still floating when you're already on, that's the issue. Floating the back end changes the angle of the boat just enough to cause that issue. The only other possibility is that the strap isn't wound tight enough, yet. When the rig is on the hard, try winding it in more - don't be afraid to wind hard - with a newer setup, it often takes this extra measure to really tighten the spool up.

I know you mentioned you don't want the bunk slicks, but just for more info... these would allow you to not have to back into the water as much (some ramps can be quite shallow, too) and would make it even easier to slide the boat back on (again, without having to be so deep). Also, with the plastic stuff, you don't run the risk of sand/grit getting into the carpet and scratching the boat.

If you have 2x6 bunks, and you decide to look into slicks more, Tie Down makes a style that is 3-sided - it fits over the bunks like a cap and is secured with screws through the sides of the cap, not the top - meaning there's no chance of a "screw pop" that gouges the boat.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse with these slicks - if you don't want them, that's totally fine - your boat, your call. But I've been boating my whole life and likely launch and retrieve more boats than the average person because I also work in the industry. Even though you have gotten lots of experience, these only make things better. I even used them with my last a boat, a 28' cruiser!

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I've seen a boat laying on a ramp twice and both times it was a bunk trailer with bunk slicks.

Once was at a double ramp and I was on my boat idling waiting for my buddy to park the truck. Guy next to me had a newer whaler with a nice Yamaha, the sound it made when that skeg hit and then the hull was disgusting. He had put the winch in reverse for some reason and then tapped the brakes on the way down the ramp.

Winch went zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

We tried to help get it back on but there was no way, guy called a tow truck. If you use slicks leave that winch in gear and the strap connected.

• Wow
Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ouch!!

One reason why I make sure the boat trailer is deep enough in the water before I take off the safety and release the eye hook.

That would be an awful thing to have to witness :eek:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Saw the same thing happen with a roller trailer. In this case, he did not have a safety chain and the old winch gave out. BANG!

Either way, these are chocked up to user error - YES, as a safety precaution, always leave things connected. Personally, I even do it with carpeted bunks - at least until the trailer is far enough in the water that SHOULD the boat slide off, it's just going for a swim.

That said, I don't think anyone on this thread is advising to NOT leave things connected with slicks.

Reactions: leeccoll

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Ouch!!

One reason why I make sure the boat trailer is deep enough in the water before I take off the safety and release the eye hook.

That would be an awful thing to have to witness :eek:
It was terrible. I felt badly for the guy. I don't know how he ended up getting it back on but I'm sure it wasn't pleasant.

The other time I heard it happen, I was walking back to my boat after parking the truck. There was so much yelling between the guys involved we just got the hell out of there.