Deck Hatch Issues

DenisO

Reaction score
I am a dope so bear with me...Deck hatch is missing approx. 70% of screws - Just empty holes. Will replace but is there some sealant I should be using as well to make watertight?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Deck hatch

I would consider pulling the deck hatch, inspecting, cleaning and recaulking. Use the best GE silicone caulk in almond/off white.

freddy063

Reaction score
why did the screw come out are they loose in the wood? I would put some 3m 5200 on the screw befor you put them in, it will keep them in if the holes are to big or loose around the screw. Make sure you don't get any on the deck plate because once it drys it will not come off.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would definitely check under the hatch for rot. 70% of the screws were missing? :shock: Sounds like there isn't much for them to grip into.

bhemi

Reaction score
Not 5200

Don't use 5200 on anything you might want to remove later. Use 4200 on hatches otherwise those screws are never coming out.

DenisO

Reaction score
Screws did not rot out...Guy who replaced tank for me did a great job on the install and a sloppy job replaceing all the screws. Also have to recaulk

richie rich

Reaction score
any pre drilled holes that are sloppy should be fixed with resin or epoxyand re-drilled...the seal should be done with either 4200 or even better Boat Life....the 5200 is permanent and normally below the waterline...the 4200 is more flexible, but also used more below the waterline because the chemistry in these 2 sealants turns them yellow in the UV sunlight...the Boat life is different chemistry and does not yellow in the sun...PS...keep the household silicones at home....

freddy063

Reaction score
over sized screw hole, like i was trying to say, 5200 in the holes will make the screw hold, and yes when you want them out , turning them removes the screw. 5200 will come off or out it's not that forever holding. I found it to work well to fix worn out screw hole , just put on screw, screw it in 98% of the way, wait a week then tighen it 100% . it harden up the worn out area. thats my 2 cent.