Difference between "no feedback steering" /hydraul

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am moving from a 208 with no feedback steering to a 225 with hydraulic tilt steering. What's the difference and does it matter much in terms of handling? Thanks

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Viper: When I went from a 208 to a 258 I also went from NFB to hydraulic. Hydraulic is considerably more easy to steer. And it stays in place when you take your hands off the wheel. I don't think I would go back to NFB mechanical steering. I would consider hydraulic a 'must have' on any V6 four stroke, just due to the weight.

That said, I do recall finding it harder to find the boat's sweet spot with hydraulic steering. I didn't get the same ability to 'feel' when there is too much or too little trim. With the NFB, I thought the boat was easier to steer when properly trimmed up, especially in calm seas. I got over it and learned the feel of the boat with hydraulic.

Rob

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You'll love it. I can't imagine any other way on that size motor. The little 150 is a dream with the SeaStar.

The only thing I don't like is mine will occasionally lay over to the stop when the motor is up. Seems most common after a big temperature change. Now, supposedly that means air in the cylinder. I've already bled it once, maybe I need to do it again. Otherwise it works great.

catch22

Reaction score
Agree.... you will love it. Hydraulic steering is awsome.

Imo, it's not as effortless as say, "power steering" in a car, but it's definitely smoother and more uniform than cable steering.

As far as feeling any feedback goes, there are circumstances where you might feel some. For one, just like with cable steering, it's still a good idea to make sure your steering trim tab, on the outboard, is set correctly. If it's way-off, you'll feel it. The only way to check it, is to drive the boat at a decent speed, on plane, and see how the steering feels, while making turns in either direction. If it feels harder to steer to left, than it is to the right, you'll need to swing the tab to the right a little, (opposite direction). Vise/versa if it's hard when steering to the right. I lost the steering tab on a Yamaha 250 once, (must have vibrated off) and it was really stiff, in one direction.

Another thing is, just like with cable, make sure your outboard is properly lubed, (all the zerk fittings). If the outboards steering tube is tight, or bound-up, because of lack of grease, it's more work for the steering system and your probably going to feel it.

As far as the "tilt" feature goes, I think it's a great option. You can set it one way for sitting and another for standing. And, different drivers can set it to their liking. One thing I've seen though, is try to avoid "hanging on" to your steering wheel for support. The tilt mechanism is a seperate device that's coupled to the helm, and, (imo) you can where it out easier than non-tilt. Obviously it's not a good idea to hang on to the wheel with either type.