Fisherman console mods

benhil00

Reaction score
I just purchased a 222 Fisherman. It's probably 15 years old. Mostly in good shape, but, some notable wear and tear. The tougher items and where I can use some advice include these:

the plexiglass - it's badly "fogged". Is this fixable? Any sources you might suggest for replacements?;

the gel coat on all hatches (front storage and two rear on either side of the stern) are badly chipped. Is this common on Grady's? Suggestions for repair would be welcome.

The life vest "bag" that hangs down from the T Top needs replacement - any ideas for sources? Any suggestions or pics of console layouts?

I plan to move the FF and GPS up from the compartment in the console - I prefer to have the screens higher up and to not look down. Anyone with pics on how they set things up?

Any sources for the "wings" that tie into the sides of the T Top for protection? Sources for console covers that work with T Top?

I know, I have some work to do. I am trading up from a Seastrike 190. Great boat, but, smaller than what I need now.

mboyatt

Reaction score
Regarding the plexi issue, Shurhold has a product called Buff Magic that will restore the plexi. However, you will need an orbital polisher. It works, but I doubt I would spend the money on an orbital just to test it out. If you have a polisher or can borrow one, then I would give the Buf Magic a shot. Regarding chipping around the hatches, my Grady is circa 1994 and I don't have that issue. Like anything else, if the boat was used really hard, you will get chips, dings and god knows what else. The previous owner of my boat had a couple of dock encounters that chipped the gel pretty good and also did a number on the rub rail in 2 areas. It is on my list! Good luck with 222 Fisherman.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Another option would be to remove the plexiglass door, have a custom panel made, and flush mount your electronics. Looks professional, makes them easier to read, and you rid yourself of the plexiglass door. A fellow Great Grady member (jbrinch88) makes these panels and his work his first rate.

A link to his work: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22559

Here's a before and after of mine....

18204515835_2c060e700e_c.jpg

17153544558_58d30d1be1_c.jpg

benhil00

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, and, especially for the pics. Really nice job you did there. I am going to move the electronics up to the "top" of the console so that they are closer to eye level. I can also use the dry storage in the compartment, so, win win all around. I hope to find a cover for the console so that there's no direct moisture on the devices. otherwise, I will remove them when off the boat. I pick up the boat in time for the weekend. really looking forward to it.

thanks again.