Floor valves

seasick

Reaction score
Yes. It's open. To be a bit picky, dual band clamps are recommended for critical connections like the hoses in your photo but when two clamps are used, they should be installed in opposite directions to each other

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
I will check if they are plastic I just opened up the floor to find the shower sump pump and I will change everything I have to

Fishtales

Reaction score
Some Zep Mold and Mildew sprayed down there and then washed out will help assess things.

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
Thanks I will do that and find out what’s really going on down there

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
One caveat to this (correct) statement... unless they are made of Marelon, which is a special, USCG approved "plastic".
I’m thinking they might be original but not sure because of the hose clamp situation I have to check but thanks a lot for the heads up I just got the boat in August took it out last week and going over all these things finding different stuff not bad I just want to fix everything and know everything

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I haven’t lifted my panels up yet over the tank but definitely look at the access hatches on them. I thought I was good in the beginning of the year with buying new gaskets but the water was still sleeping between the outside of the access and the floor panel. I recaulked this past weekend but the screws didn’t allow for a tight fit so either new holes are needed or bigger screws.

Keep an eye on that when you start putting everything back together. I’m fixing it when I take the panels up...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I’m thinking they might be original but not sure because of the hose clamp situation I have to check but thanks a lot for the heads up I just got the boat in August took it out last week and going over all these things finding different stuff not bad I just want to fix everything and know everything
Don't base your assumption on them not being original because of their orientation. You'd then also have to assume that the guy at the factory knew what to do. That's a lot of assumption.

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
Don't base your assumption on them not being original because of their orientation. You'd then also have to assume that the guy at the factory knew what to do. That's a lot of assumption.
I will go over everything and check it out and double check to make sure everything is working condition and the right parts

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Curious if factory was doing double clamps as my boat has lots of original equipment and I do not have double clamps anywhere. That’s changing this offseason when I replace a lot of the hoses.

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
Curious if factory was doing double clamps as my boat has lots of original equipment and I do not have double clamps anywhere. That’s changing this offseason when I replace a lot of the hoses.
I have a 96 Grady sailfish 272 Not sure if they came like this the guy before me touched a few things not bad but they were touched

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
i would agree with above waterline, but i get antsy with below waterline stuff.
Understood. But if you're not familiar with Marelon, it's a very nice product. It's also been in use for many, many decades. It's definitely a "tried and true" thing. That said, if I was installing "new" - I would used bronze. But I absolutely wouldn't change out an existing Marelon piece. Truth is, calling it "plastic" isn't fair. Check it out - it's made by Forespar.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Joe, how long would it take you to access those through hulls(floor valves) if the deck hatch was not removed? A lot of Gradys have ss rods to remotely operate them. You should be able to close them in seconds in an emergency.

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
I know you’re saying I’m gonna find out the most info I can about the below water line stuff

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Understood. But if you're not familiar with Marelon, it's a very nice product. It's also been in use for many, many decades. It's definitely a "tried and true" thing. That said, if I was installing "new" - I would used bronze. But I absolutely wouldn't change out an existing Marelon piece. Truth is, calling it "plastic" isn't fair. Check it out - it's made by Forespar.
not critiquing the product, just me and waterlines. :)