Fuel Gauge Removal

retirednavy

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I'm replacing the dash on my 263 Chase and all gauges come out just fine other then the last one which is the fuel gauge, it's connected by a cable that I believe goes to the sending unit. Anyone have any advice on this gauge for removal?

retirednavy

Reaction score
Model
Chase
It's a stock Yamaha round gauge. And that is what I was worried about. It runs under the decking and doesn't seem to be the easiest to get to.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I realize you took the other gauges out. It doesn't make sense. What year are the gauges?

Put a photo up. Usually there are single wire connectors and multi-pin connectors. About 9" of wires. Sure it's not tucked in somewhere?

Gauges.jpeg

Last edited:

retirednavy

Reaction score
Model
Chase
First of all, thanks for responding.

I just spent about an hour on the boat chasing the wires and you are correct, there are several quick connects to the guage. But I thinks it's a multi-use guage and has fuel, alternate and oil pressure, so hench the other wires, etc.

I say think bcs this boat is new to me and I've never had it in the water yet. 2000 Grand White Chase 263, with all original Yamaha gauges, controls and OX66 motors.

I'm just now seeing this and back home so I'll post some pics tomorrow. But I can 100% confirm there is a wire - cable - set of wires, that come from that guage and feed into the starboard stuffing tube midship, and come out in the rear bilge. Which wire and where it goes yet is undetermined bcs I really don't want to cut the zip ties holding all those wires, etc together.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I just went thru this with my boat. I ordered a NewWire Marine gauge and switch panels arriving tomorrow.

You will have to snip wire ties. Organize the wires in your hand by gauge and take a photo. Do each gauge. I would use a label maker and carefully mark everything before you take it apart and take more photos! It will be less drama later when you put back together when you have labels and photos to guide you.

Best of luck

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This isn't making sense - the Yamaha gauges don't come with long, long wires attached. They come with very short pigtails that you disconnect from the boat harness.

Reactions: Halfhitch

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Agreed Dennis. Waiting on photos. Need to cut some ty-wraps and fan out the wires.

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
The fuel gauge and speedo are on the same gauge on my 2001 with standard Yami gauges. Any chance you are looking at the pitot tube for the speedo?

Reactions: glacierbaze

retirednavy

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Ok gents, here you go. As you can see they are Yamaha gauges, and the last one to the right is the fuel level gauge along with other functions. As you can see, there is a cable of sorts coming out the back and runs down into the cable way on the starboard side and comes out the stern by the bulge.

Ray

Attachments

• Boat pic 1.jpg
    Boat pic 1.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Boat pic 2.jpg
    Boat pic 2.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Boat pic 3.jpg
    Boat pic 3.jpg
    897 KB · Views: 27
  • Boat pic 4.jpg
    Boat pic 4.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 25

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I can see that at least the red, yellow and blue go directly to a quick disconnect plug about 6" from the unit. I assume the black does, as well - but if not, it's probably going to a crimp and you can just cut it. The large black tube just pulls off.

Are you seeing something different in person than I'm seeing in the picture? You picture is exactly what I would expect to see.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
That "cable" with no connector might be the water tube from the lower unit! Squeeze it. Does it feel hollow? If it is it just slips on - may be a little tight. Cut the ty-wrap.

retirednavy

Reaction score
Model
Chase
The tie wrap is loose, I can spin it. But I haven't tried to pull or remove the "cable" as suggested, I'll definitely do that tomorrow. I hope that is it. Thanks gents, more to follow.

Ray

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I believe those may be Yamaha 6Y5 gauges. Recommend you try to figure out the part number of the gauges. Once you know what gauge it is, the installation manual will tell you the function of each wire. The rubber tubing is definitely from your pitot system on the lower unit. The rigging manual for those gauges is available online.

retirednavy

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Gents, you are A.W.E.S.O.M.E.....thanks for the 411 to date.

I have a generous benefactor per say, I have a replacement set of gauges that have been donated to me, just don't have in hand yet, hopefully early next week.

I'll go and see about that tube on the guage tomorrow. If I pull it what should I expect? Will it leak fluid, etc?

I'll post some pics once I pull the tube.

Ray

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Probably dry but don't forget to put it back on and ty-wrap it otherwise you could have water all over.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
The tube from the pitot usually only spits water when the boat is moving and often even not then:)

Note that the gauges may have dip switches that need to be set for your specific model motor. So... make notes and don't change the originals assuming the gauge has worked correctly