Fuel Gauge Removal

retirednavy

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Thanks seasick. Ok then throttle bodies it is. If the fuel system is pretty self supportive, I'm going to drain any old gas from the VST so I can get some fresh in there. There is a topple just above the VST, is this used to bleed off any air in the system? If I have fuel, then the next check would be for spark. Any simple answers?

Mine are SX (stbd) and LX (port) models. Yes I purchased a service manual and will use it for specs on the routine stuff, O2 sensor, VST filter, etc.

retirednavy

Reaction score
Model
Chase
On the back of the engines under the plastic cover is a module (see pic) that I perceive to be something to do with ignition. Is this a coil? My service manual indicates there are coils at the top of each head that I am not seeing.

Attachments

• Coil.jpg
    Coil.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 5

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Coil for each cylinder, black cylindrical piece that your spark plug wire comes out of. The black rectangular box on the back of the engine is the electronic control module.
Is your Kill switch in position for that motor? That will kill the spark.
I believe that you said this boat has been sitting for two years, maybe you also said that the fuel system had been cleaned. But, the fuel filter bowl in post number 34 doesn’t look all that encouraging to me. Can’t tell if the liquid inside has layers to it, or It’s just the filter element inside the bowl. The red ring near the bottom only floats in water, it does not float in gasoline. It should be as far down as it would be if the bowl was empty. Can’t tell if that’s the case.
Best way to eliminate fuel issues, if a motor will not start, is to use a 6 gallon outboard tank, fresh fuel, hooked directly to the engine.

Last edited:

retirednavy

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Ok understand, so that's like an ECU on a car. But dang, have zero idea about the position of the switch. I'll check after this craze lightning filled summer storm in FL.

retirednavy

Reaction score
Model
Chase
But wait, I thought that was an emergency over ride switch, allowing the engine to "run" even if say an overtemp alarm was trying to shut down the engine. Just in case you need to motor back to shore.

retirednavy

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Glacier, thanks for the feedback, I'll certainly consider the external fuel tank if necessary, but believe the fuel is good, and yes the red ring is all the way at the bottom. What is the best way to purge the fuel all the way to the injectors? There is what appears to be an air nipple downstream of the VST before the gas goes into the mid or high pressure fuel pump (whichever this motor uses) for the injectors. Would it be safe to purge the gas out of the VST at the nipple to make certain its all clean before heading to the injectors?

As for the kill switch, are you referring to the one at the helm? If so, I know its good bcs the p0rt engine start with no issues.

seasick

Reaction score
Glacier, thanks for the feedback, I'll certainly consider the external fuel tank if necessary, but believe the fuel is good, and yes the red ring is all the way at the bottom. What is the best way to purge the fuel all the way to the injectors? There is what appears to be an air nipple downstream of the VST before the gas goes into the mid or high pressure fuel pump (whichever this motor uses) for the injectors. Would it be safe to purge the gas out of the VST at the nipple to make certain its all clean before heading to the injectors?

As for the kill switch, are you referring to the one at the helm? If so, I know its good bcs the p0rt engine start with no issues.
In your photo of the VST, look at the left side on the bottom of the tank. There is a brass or bronze screw plug. That is how you drain the tank. The fitting on the top which has a cap screwed on it, it the high pressure test port. That is where you would attach a fuel pressure gauge. As I mentioned earlier, if you drain the VST and maybe the clear filter bowl, it will take a lot of primer squeezes to refill it. You have to squeeze until the primer bulb if firm and can not be squeezed.

retirednavy

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Ahhh understand about the nipple now. Yes the fuel bowl is a little greyed out bcs of age, but i have already squized the primer bulb to fill the bowl. I think im going ro drain the VST tank and see if i can get fresh gas into it.