Fuel tanks

Reaction score
I have a Spirit 175 and am trying to find out how to drain the fuel tank due to some bad gas. I have tried siphoning from the fuel tank unlet and also by cutting the fuel line in the rear well which feeds the kicker motor. There must be some sort of anti-siphone valve in the line. Anyway if anyone has successfully done this please let me know. :?

seasick

Reaction score
jimshort@whidbey.com said:
I have a Spirit 175 and am trying to find out how to drain the fuel tank due to some bad gas. I have tried siphoning from the fuel tank unlet and also by cutting the fuel line in the rear well which feeds the kicker motor. There must be some sort of anti-siphone valve in the line. Anyway if anyone has successfully done this please let me know. :?

It stops the fuel from siphoning from the tank. The standard method is to pump the fuel from the sender opening after removing the sender. This can be dangerous with the fumes and if you do it, you must use a pump approved for gasoline and make sure you discharge any static.

A lot of pickup tubes do not go all the way to the bottom of the tank so getting the last bit of fuel or water out is tough without going through the sender opening with a pump and hose.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Anti-siphon valves are installed to keep fuel from siphoning OUT of the tank in the event of a fuel line break below tank level. Not even required if fuel lines are above the top of the tank. Fed Reg 183.568:

"Anti-siphon protection" is a term applied to the means of preventing the siphon action of permitting fuel to continue to flow out of the fuel tank in the event there is a break or rupture in a fuel distribution line, or if a fitting in the fuel line loosens, creating a leak.

Don't know what method you tried from the stern, but it would need to be more than lung power for that distance. Each fall I disconnect the fuel line at the water filter, using a short piece of copper tubing I attach a fuel line/bulb to the fuel line. A couple of pumps of the bulb and fuel flows just fine. I run the line out the bilge drain and fill a 5 gal can, the siphon is broken with a clamp when done.

seasick

Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:
Anti-siphon valves are installed to keep fuel from siphoning OUT of the tank in the event of a fuel line break below tank level. Not even required if fuel lines are above the top of the tank. Fed Reg 183.568:

"Anti-siphon protection" is a term applied to the means of preventing the siphon action of permitting fuel to continue to flow out of the fuel tank in the event there is a break or rupture in a fuel distribution line, or if a fitting in the fuel line loosens, creating a leak.

Don't know what method you tried from the stern, but it would need to be more than lung power for that distance. Each fall I disconnect the fuel line at the water filter, using a short piece of copper tubing I attach a fuel line/bulb to the fuel line. A couple of pumps of the bulb and fuel flows just fine. I run the line out the bilge drain and fill a 5 gal can, the siphon is broken with a clamp when done.

I don't know what I was thinking:) I edited my post.
Yes the anti-siphon valve stops the tank from draining should the fuel line leak. It also stops the fuel delivery system from draining back into the tank (losing prime).
I have to stop replying to posts after my afternoon glass of wine..

Reaction score
Thanks to Seasick and Curmudgen for the responses. Both methods are good options. To Seasick, this may sound stupid but where is the sending unit located? To Curmudgeon, I did not try the "bulb" technique at the water/fuel filter and will do so. I was simply trying to create suction myself and I think that may have been my problem. Again thanks and good boating to you both. :p

gw204

Reaction score
I've emptied about 45 gallons before just by pumping the bulb on the main line... Not fun, but it worked.

seasick

Reaction score
jimshort@whidbey.com said:
Thanks to Seasick and Curmudgen for the responses. Both methods are good options. To Seasick, this may sound stupid but where is the sending unit located? To Curmudgeon, I did not try the "bulb" technique at the water/fuel filter and will do so. I was simply trying to create suction myself and I think that may have been my problem. Again thanks and good boating to you both. :p

I can't say for certain but there will be an access plats somewhere. It should be towards the rear of the tank. It is where the wire for the fuel gauge connects. There will be a mounting ring with 5 screws ( I think 5). Remove the screws and carefully remove the sender. You can then use that opening to pump the tank. Be careful; If the tank is relatively full, gas may leak out so go slowly.
In addition, as long as the gasket is still goog, you can reuse it but do not over tighten the screws. That will distort the flange and cause all sorts of problems.

Reaction score
OK I will look for it. On the Grady Spirit 175 I think it is under the console so will need to empty all my junk out of there. I only have about 10 gallons of gas in the tank. I think I will use the method involving the squeeze bulb on the fuel lines first to see what I can do. Then if that doesn't work I will have to try taking the sending unit off. I am a little nervous doing that so I may just take it to the dealer. It's a good lesson to drain old gas out of the tank for the winter.
Thanks.

Reaction score
OK I will look for it. On the Grady Spirit 175 I think it is under the console so will need to empty all my junk out of there. I only have about 10 gallons of gas in the tank. I think I will use the method involving the squeeze bulb on the fuel lines first to see what I can do. Then if that doesn't work I will have to try taking the sending unit off. I am a little nervous doing that so I may just take it to the dealer. It's a good lesson to drain old gas out of the tank for the winter.
Thanks.

drmwvr

Reaction score
I "polish" my fuel during the winter by disconnecting my fuel line on the supply side of the prime bulb and hooking it up to a 12 volt fuel pump that I rigged with fuel tubbing on both sides of the pump. By doing this, I can pump all the fuel out through my on-board fuel filter, fill up 5 gallon gas tanks and then pour it back into my boat's tank. I hold 40 gallons and it takes me no more than 1 hour to complete the entire process. Gets any water and gunk out. This should work for you and you dont have to disconnect anything other than one c-clamp.

I could post some pics of my set up if someone will tell me how to post pics.

dbnash

Reaction score
I used a small electric fuel pump from my friends race car. to pump out and pump back into tank. just replaced tank on 204c 65gal tank. worked awesome