Grady white marlin 300 helm chair rocking.

KcFerry

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Greetings,
New member here, but I've been here reading posts for a while and finally joined as I am about to purchase a 2022 Grady White Marlin 300. I looked at it today and dropped a down-payment on it. The boat is in amazing condition and has way more than I'm used to as far as electronics and amenities. Our only issue with the boat is a fairly important one. The helm chair rocks, as it has excessive play in the sleeve. I did read an older thread where members had the same problem but I didn't really find a solution. New helm chairs about $3500, so i'm wondering if I can just change the mount. Any information would be helpful.
Thanks,
Kevin ✌️

billyttpd

Reaction score
There should be a vinyl bushing between the pedestal mount and the chair itself. They do crack. Try a new bushing. If that doesn't resolve the issue a new mount and pedestal should be less expensive than a new seat

Reactions: KcFerry

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
couple of "locks" on it. you can't have it swivel and not rock at the same time. pick one. take a look under the seat and it should be obvious.

good luck, ron

KcFerry

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If I drop it down and dog it tight, it still rocks around. I don't have a picture now but I did notice when I raised the seat, there are black markings that look like they came from plastic not grease. Others have mentioned that there's a plastic bushing that the seat sleeves into. Replacing, the bushing seems to be a temporary fix, as many have reported, it continuously fails. Looking to see if there are other options out there. It sounds petty, but it's actually really annoying!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i should have mentioned that i have the upgraded helm seat.

that said, a 2022 seat should not generally have the issue you indicate. unfortunately, my seat was not installed in a high quality manner (along with many other items on the boat) and i had to "fix" it as best as possible. if they installed a post that was not a match for the seat carriage, i could see it wobbling. Maybe black electrical tape to tighten it up left the marks? (i don't even want to discuss what they did with the helm footrest on my 330.)

i would lift the seat off and assess the components.

ron

Reactions: KcFerry

KcFerry

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Unfortunately the boat is in CT and my port is in Brielle New Jersey. I'm buying the boat from a stealership in Niantic CT, so I'm working with them until spring. The boat is also due for service, so I'll be having them haul it out, service, winterize, paint and store for winter. Almost 10K. The seller said if I send them the parts for the helm chair, or a whole new unit they would put it in for me so I don't have to fuss with it in the spring.
I also ordered a trailer from Loadmaster in Ohio which I have to go pick up in the spring also....Lots to do! I really wish I had ordered the trailer in advance, as I would have taken it home and done the work myself. I've decided to bring the boat home on the water from Niantic to Brielle rather than towing it. That should be a nice ride to feel her out.
To be safe, I'll probably run her down the sound and up the east river to sandy hook, then down the beach to port.
I'd rather have a few hours with her before taking her outside. If I go around Montauk, it's faster, but I don't fully trust a boat I don't know to cross that much open water. Thanks for the responses guys.

Capt. Kevin⚓️