GW newb here w. grady outdrive questions

steve-r

Reaction score
Hi, just joined. great site. i've been tire-kicking GW's and the 228 looks like a sweet ride. hopefully some informed here can set me straight. been looking at older 228's with an idea to re-power w. a new 4-stroke. i've seen some posted comments about older grady drives not being able to support the new 4-strokes. saw 2 posts referring to a GW mfg'r recommendation to keep outdrive engine weight at 500lbs which says yami f150 is max. my buddy has a 228 and was unable ( dealer refused ) to replace his evinrude 225 Ficht problem with a 4-stroke and he had to go the Merc 2-stroke path. i hear lots of advantages claimed with the outdrive. is there a table or a link somewhere showing the GW models ( 22 - 26 ft ), by year ( 92 (w. CV2 ) - current ) , with the outdrive and the weight limitations? ie.. what year did the 228 start to support F-engines over 500 lbs?
my repower plan would be f225 ( 583lbs) or f250 (608lbs) plus 8hp hi thrust kicker (97 lbs)
thx for any insight.
Steve
(current ride: 18ft Welded alum. Kellahan ctr console )...i guess i have 4footitis and a wish to be a little drier
:lol:

steve-r

Reaction score
ok, trying to do my research....i went thru all the online owner manuals on the grady mfg'r site.
up to 1989, there was one owner manual for all models, and it specified the max o/b at 280hp for the 226/228g....this must have been for a twin setup..?.. from 1990 to 1998 the owner manuals did not specify a max hp....we know that in 1992 the 228 was redesigned with the SV2 hull. then in 1999 the owner manual states max o/b at 250hp and it stays at 250 thru 2005 which is the last year the manual is posted.

can anyone confirm if 1999 was the 1st year the 228g could take a motor > 500 lbs?
i'm just trying to avoid buying an older 228 thinking i got a great deal that i then can't repower w. a 4-stroke.

also, is it ok to assume that the 'G' designation on the model means 'grady drive'?
thx,
Steve ( the analytic! )

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
put it this way
u can put more wieght in the back
the scuppers will be under water, they will not work until underway
most scuppers if u look at them are in the water anyways
we just looked at the 265, and his scuppers are under water with 200 HPDI's
rain water is the only thing u need to worry about