GW rounded keel

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
i can get on board with this. the rounded bottom could prevent slicing too deep which may limit shooting back out of the water because of going too deep in
Listening to Sorensen is interesting. Gives an idea of what the hull design does well and it is consistent with many of our experiences when driving our boats. With the small 208, I pay particular attention as the boat will get to the limit a lot faster than the bigger models. As I have said in another 208-specific post I use a lot of tab. The short hull gets flat quickly. The risk is bow steer but that seems manageable.

I do love the soft landing in following seas and see the bow flare working as lots of water is displaced to the sides.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
And which one is less costly to make??????A sharp angle cuts through ex meat while a dull knife not so much. Water like jello. You are all making too much out of it, just enjoy boating as long as it is not "too" uncomfortable in 4 footers...................at moderate speeds. Or get a long speedboat riding on top of the waves (not cutting in too deep)......
A sports car has stiffer suspension than a saloon car for a reason, take them on a washboard gravel road and guess which one is comfortable and which one is faster. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so is comfort and joy of boating.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
No perfect design for sure..overall I think if helps keep the boat very balanced overall. Lift, stability, etc. I do think it has a significant impact on speed in 1 to 2 footers...the boat is not designed to go fast in those conditions for sure..but I do not care..35 is fast enough.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
And which one is less costly to make??????A sharp angle cuts through ex meat while a dull knife not so much. Water like jello. You are all making too much out of it, just enjoy boating as long as it is not "too" uncomfortable in 4 footers...................at moderate speeds. Or get a long speedboat riding on top of the waves (not cutting in too deep)......
A sports car has stiffer suspension than a saloon car for a reason, take them on a washboard gravel road and guess which one is comfortable and which one is faster. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so is comfort and joy of boating.
making too much of it? some people actually enjoy understanding hull design

Reactions: Peter A

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
It is a very stable design compared with a deeper and sharper V like I had on my previous boat. GW is a great heavy steady boat.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It is a very stable design compared with a deeper and sharper V like I had on my previous boat. GW is a great heavy steady boat.
Agreed... I had a 21' Arima with a modified vee hull and the stern was almost completely flat. It would pound in anything greater than 1'-2' chop, you'd take spray over the windshield/windows and it would rock quite a bit just walking from side to side while trolling for fish. I had that boat from 2017 until I sold it in 2020, looked for a Grady White 228 Seafarer for over a year and finally found my boat in early October of 2021 back in Maryland. The ride quality is night and day, it's a smoother, drier and much more comfortable riding boat, and the overall quality/fit/finish of the boat itself is top notch. I'm so glad that I sold my old boat and upgraded to a Grady White, and even sold the old one for more than I bought my current boat for.

Reactions: Don Davis

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Not going too fast and especially running in a following sea, rounded bottom helps achieve a soft landing.
When someone land on the round butt (particularly on following seas) because he got airborne then it will bang like hell, i never did it with my Canyon in no sea direction but with my BW and i suggest you to not try that.
The only boats who suffer less from landing are deep V hulls, however even on them it's not fun to land on the butt.
There are a lot of round bottom and almost flat bottom on the rear of the hull and they all ride great but are definitively not designed to land there, as others alredy mentioned, a variable deadrise hull slices with the bow thru the waves and slowly becoming less dea drise push the water away and create a sort of lift what adds stability at planing speed.
At least on my Canyon the SV2 hull is a very well designed hull and she rides great controlling the speed to make the hull work as supposed, but i was never on another GW, so on smaller hulls that may be a bit different.
Chris

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
As I have said in another 208-specific post I use a lot of tab. The short hull gets flat quickly. The risk is bow steer but that seems manageable.
I don't think that any GW need a lot of tabs to run flat, except the load is ways too much back.
If this is not your case then i suggest to get a stern lifting propeller, that would be much more economic than a excessive use of trim tabs.
Chris

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I don't think that any GW need a lot of tabs to run flat, except the load is ways too much back.
If this is not your case then i suggest to get a stern lifting propeller, that would be much more economic than a excessive use of trim tabs.
Chris
Have a Powertech SCE4 14x14 4-blade that has good stern lift, back is not too heavy with F200 and hardtop. Had more lift from the Solas HR4 14.5x15 4 blade that was on the boat at purchase, but that was over-propped for the F200 which had trouble pulling past 5,000rpm. Overall fuel burn is good and happy with the way the boat drives. Thanks for the thoughts though, makes for a good forum.