hard top paint

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
I'm thinking of giving my hard top a coat of white paint its dull and want it to look cleaner any suggestions on type of paint I have some white deck paint will this work ??

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Is it textured? If not, wet sand and buff it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
youcouldpaintitifyouwantbutsinceit'sgelcoatitmightbeeasierandfastertojustbuffandwaxlikementionedabovewhatsyourplanonpaintingandhowtocleanitupfirstanydecentexteriorpaintcanwork

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Mine is textured. I'm going to compound it. If it looks "good enough" then wax it.

if that isn't good enough I will use some left-over 2 part epoxy bottomkote as a primer and cover with good old Rustoleum oil based exterior gloss white... $9 qt

Once you paint something you will be committed. Try to avoid it.
You don't want to deal with chips, bubbles and peeling.
If you are going to paint you need to clean it really well and then use a non-wax rubbing compound then clean it really well again

then prime & paint. Any exterior one part urethane will be good for that location

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Try compounding it first.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's textured. I've used Woody Wax on it each spring, Brings the color right back. It is a petroleum based product so it only lasts about 6 weeks in the sun. Not sure I'd go to the trouble to paint, but your call. The skin is fairly thin, so be careful with it.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Clean it really well, then 2 coats epoxy prime kote and then 2 coats interlux perfection. Add texture additives to keep it nonskid. It’s a long process but will turn out well. It’s all roll on. I’ve done this to many whalers and lasts over 5 years if done well.

Reactions: Joe arrigo

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I compound it using an upholstery brush on an orbital polisher. Works great on the non-skid decking as well.