How far out in the ocean would you travel from land?

jenbl4ze

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I have a 2006 258 Journey with a single 250 Yamaha in excellent shape. The fact its a single engine always deters me from going past 10 miles or so. I boat out of Cape May NJ and would love to go for some tuna soon but that single engine always makes me think twice or more! What do ya think?

Attachments

• IMG_3693.jpeg
    IMG_3693.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As long as you have the appropriate gear, EPIRB and such,,, get out there and enjoy life. I take my 228 out further than that in the Keys, but I do have all necessary gear to do it.

Reactions: jenbl4ze

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I fish/cruise in SoCal. Probably from mainland about 60 miles max. But, if I include distance from an island, about 30 - 40 miles.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I run 70 to 100 in my 273 chase..been out 20 in a 15 foot whaler...maintain your stuff and have safety gear.

seasick

Reaction score
I have a 2006 258 Journey with a single 250 Yamaha in excellent shape. The fact its a single engine always deters me from going past 10 miles or so. I boat out of Cape May NJ and would love to go for some tuna soon but that single engine always makes me think twice or more! What do ya think?
Your pose made me chuckle. My first thought was that 10 miles is as far as you can swim!

Although twin motors may offer some extra sense of security, the weather and sea conditions have more to do with your range than twin or single motors.
Where would you prefer to get stuck; 3 miles out in 30 plus winds and 6 foot seas, or 30 miles out in calm seas?
Depending on the sea conditions you may not be able with one motor to get back.

Make sure you plan for the worst case ( well bad case) scenario. Can you signal for help (VHF, EPIRB, etc) can you survive if the boat sinks?

In reality, there are times when you shouldn't leave the dock:)

Reactions: mykidzmomnow

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Tuna runs, I'm not sure, but pushing 60. 114 gallon tank full and 24 more gallons on the deck, 3 guys, lots of ice, that's the only time I looked at my 250 and wished it was a 300. Hole shot is not great with all that weight, it does it, but it struggles.

Like others have said, it's sort of a mental block, you can die a couple miles offshore. You pick your days and be sure of your engine. I had just done a 300 hour service on mine and was ready to go, my wiser more experienced friend Jens said "Nope, you just did a service. Go do a local run and make sure everything is working".

Someone on here asked when you are ready to do long runs and I said "If you hear a strange noise, is your instinct to stop everything and figure out that noise? If yes, you might be ready, if no, you are not ready".

Reactions: jenbl4ze and Chutch

jenbl4ze

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Your pose made me chuckle. My first thought was that 10 miles is as far as you can swim!

Although twin motors may offer some extra sense of security, the weather and sea conditions have more to do with your range than twin or single motors.
Where would you prefer to get stuck; 3 miles out in 30 plus winds and 6 foot seas, or 30 miles out in calm seas?
Depending on the sea conditions you may not be able with one motor to get back.

Make sure you plan for the worst case ( well bad case) scenario. Can you signal for help (VHF, EPIRB, etc) can you survive if the boat sinks?

In reality, there are times when you shouldn't leave the dock:)
Thanks for your response....yes...those circumstances have been thought out and taken care of...lowrance/siriusXM weather overlay, mmsi registered and all the other safety bells/whistles....i have boat us but they only come out 25 miles

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You can always buddy boat with a friend and venture further out each time. That way you have a backup boat. As long as you know your boat and feel it's running top notch, no reason to fret. If you're not sure of it, then you're not ready to go. Again, EPIRB, handheld VHF, life jackets,,, plan for the worst, hope for the best.

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
You can always buddy boat with a friend and venture further out each time. That way you have a backup boat. As long as you know your boat and feel it's running top notch, no reason to fret. If you're not sure of it, then you're not ready to go. Again, EPIRB, handheld VHF, life jackets,,, plan for the worst, hope for the best.
This is the right answer. When I do tuna runs, I've collected intel and I know roughly where they are and so do a bunch of other people. The last time I did a run, there were dozens of boats in the area. It was in fog and we had to pay attention so we weren't running into each other.

If you are going out prospecting and don't know if other boats are out there, then that's when you need a buddy boat. 60 miles offshore by yourself is not a good plan. Safety in numbers.

Reactions: mykidzmomnow

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I've been Toms Canyon, 100 miles, overnight in a 23 CC with a single Yammy 250.
In the right weather forecast (2ft or less calm variable wind for a couple days...thru the day after you plan to return)
Full trust in your motor and boat. All the necessary saftey gear.

I've done 60 mile day trips many times in a 20ft cuddy with a single 140.

Work yourself out, gain experience. You can certainly do tuna /mahi trips to 20 and 30 fathom line from Cape May.. That boat (in right conditions) gets you to Wilmington Canyon.

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks for your response....yes...those circumstances have been thought out and taken care of...lowrance/siriusXM weather overlay, mmsi registered and all the other safety bells/whistles....i have boat us but they only come out 25 miles
Note that your VHF and/or cellular service may not work at those distances.
In addition to EPIRBS there are smaller, less expensive emergency beacon devices.
Here is a link to video on some of the options.
Check the Boat US web site. There is a link to other towing options based on the specific service area you are in.

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Ask around your marina, I”m in Sea Isle City and there are tuna being caught occasionally 15 miles out. Tell a responsible person your float plan, have an EPIRB and most of all check the weather on a few sources and venture out. Try fishing some pots for Mahi in a little closer.

Thor's Outlaw

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ive done 34 miles off the the south shore of Long Island for tuna in my 228. I have no kicker (which ive considered) I carry an EPRIB, life jackets and I have a Zoleo satellite communicator so I can text with my family/rescue and let them know if Im in trouble. I also have my MMSI number registered. One thing Ive considered is a small 4 person life raft in a soft carry bag. Cheapest ive seen is about $900 or so for the raft without a canopy. Im not worried about my Grady sinking, more so the thought of a fire is what makes me consider a small raft.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just this past Sunday night, I overnighted at West Atlantis Canyon, approx 100 miles out of my harbor. I carry a bunch of safety gear, including a Viking Raft, an EPIRB, a PLB, Garmin in-reach, portable VHF and all the standard required stuff. Always have a float plan with family and a few other fisherman.

I do see singles offshore at various spots up to about 50 miles out looking for Tuna. Having a buddy boat is great, but also getting on the radio and establishing contact with other boats in your vicinity is helpful. Sometimes you get some intel, but other times it is just reassuring to know your radio works, etc.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Boat US has an unlimited towing plan (at least on the west coast) where they'll come get you wherever you are, so I'd recommend looking into upgrading your membership as you start to get more comfortable with your boat and want to venture further out. I've taken my 208 out 70 miles offshore a few times after I had 100% confidence in my boat and motor. But that was only after I'd had the boat for a few years and knew the inside and outside of everything on the boat (every electrical wire, every fuel line, where the access was to every thru-hull, how to do basic engine troubleshooting and maintenance, etc.).

20 years ago in my friend's boat, not my Grady, we had a semi-catastrophic failure on his motor when we were 50 miles out of Ensenada Mexico and about 70 miles from San Diego. We broke down about noon and we were unable to raise Tow Boat US or the USCG on the VHF. But we were able to get a relay from another boat nearby so Tow Boat US knew to come get us. Later in the day as the atmospheric conditions changed, we were able to be in comms with the USCG on 30 minute check-ins until Tow Boat US made it to our location about 8:00pm and they put us on the trailer in Ensenada about 2:00am. My friend had the Gold membership with Boat US, so the tow was free, but I remember thinking $5000 to get towed in didn't seem that expensive when the alternative was floating out in the ocean for a few days and hoping to eventually drift onto the beach 200 miles south into Baja in the middle of nowhere.

TowBoat.jpg

Reactions: PointedRose

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
How fast can they tow you? I've always wondered if it was worth or just motor in on your kicker (if you have one). My kicker won't move me more than 6mph so....

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As noted above by a few, it's less about the size of the boat and more about the conditions and your comfort level... and keeping a weather eye out! Case in point, I've been about 15 miles off in a 17' open boat - even back as far as when I was 15 years old. I'd go further - just haven't had the need as I now have bigger boats :)

BUT... to answer how far out I'd go? Rule of thirds -- I'd go as far as 1/3 of a tank of gas would get me.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
With a small boat like that your should buddy up with another boat. When the fish are around you don't need to go out beyond the 30 fathom line. Safety equipment a must as well as a buddy who won't leave you behind. Pick your days and be realistic about guessing the weather.

jenbl4ze

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I've been Toms Canyon, 100 miles, overnight in a 23 CC with a single Yammy 250.
In the right weather forecast (2ft or less calm variable wind for a couple days...thru the day after you plan to return)
Full trust in your motor and boat. All the necessary saftey gear.

I've done 60 mile day trips many times in a 20ft cuddy with a single 140.

Work yourself out, gain experience. You can certainly do tuna /mahi trips to 20 and 30 fathom line from Cape May.. That boat (in right conditions) gets you to Wilmington Canyon.
I like your thinking ....good to hear from someone that knows the area too!

Reactions: Peter A