How far out in the ocean would you travel from land?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I like your thinking ....good to hear from someone that knows the area too!
I don't get down that far but look at "the Cigar", 28 mile wreck, Cayru wreck and Lemke. Those are regular tuna spots. Probably 35 out of Cape May?
Theres probably closer stuff to you too

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Two engines better than one for sure. One engine in tip top shape better than two with deferred maintenance. Plenty of commercial boats with one engine. Some issues like fuel will impact both engines. Having all the safety gear and backups mitigates risk. Smart captain most of all.

Being able to troubleshoot/repair and have spares is critical for me.

I’d also say that having at least one passengers being pretty salty is big.

In my 208/200hp/hardtop for now I go about 15-20 miles from Barnegat Inlet max since I don’t have some of the backups. Need a second bilge pump or a backup emergency pump, backup nav and vhf, EPIRB in addition to PLB, would like radar and a raft. Next year I think I would be good for 50-60 miles with those additions. 85-90 miles to Tom’s Canyon, that is stretching even with forecast good weather. Comfort level, long way for an assist or tow, long slog home if the weather turns upside down, fuel (208 tank is 84 gallons, would want to have 20g more).

Fishtales

Reaction score
Other boats with ya, kicker for an emergency, proper gear and a float plan - go for it.

• Love
Reactions: jenbl4ze

jenbl4ze

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I don't get down that far but look at "the Cigar", 28 mile wreck, Cayru wreck and Lemke. Those are regular tuna spots. Probably 35 out of Cape May?
Theres probably closer stuff to you too
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Reactions: Peter A

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Closer to CM try East Lump, 19 Fathom Lump, Massey's Canyon, Triple Wreck Reef, Tamaroa, Jacob Jones (two pieces). Elephant Trunk too although it’s further out.

For dolphin and Spanish mackerel during August and September try Five Fathom Bank, Delaware Light and Mussel Beds.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jenbl4ze

jenbl4ze

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
THANK YOU EVERYONE! Fishing has been terrible in the cape may area....seems like most of it is north but have been wanting to venture out further than the cape may reef for awhile...it's nice to ask a question and get nice responses instead of rudeness like some other sites (not that that has happened to me before but def deters me from asking)... I'll let u all know within the next few weeks how it's going!

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Other boats with ya, kicker for an emergency, proper gear and a float plan - go for it.
How big of a kicker do you need on a 208 or a 228 to actually make headway in current or wind?

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
How fast can they tow you? I've always wondered if it was worth or just motor in on your kicker (if you have one). My kicker won't move me more than 6mph so....
We were on a 20 foot Proline and we got towed in at 10 knots... that's probably faster than a kicker would move us, but when you factor in the 8 hours of waiting time (and the uneasiness of being far enough out VHF radio comms were not a given), kickering in at 4 or 5 knots would have been faster had we had a kicker.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had an engine failure 42 miles out last year. Was able to make 7 knots home on the good motor. So a kicker at 6 is not a bad insurance policy.

billyttpd

Reaction score
How fast can they tow you? I've always wondered if it was worth or just motor in on your kicker (if you have one). My kicker won't move me more than 6mph so....
they can tow a little faster than 6..... but with your kicker you don't have to wait for them to get to you

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
I also run out of Cape May inlet. Routinely fish the triple wreck area in a single engine Grady. Like other have stated need good weather and well maintained boat,motor,and safety equipment. Plenty of single engine boats out there.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How big of a kicker do you need on a 208 or a 228 to actually make headway in current or wind?
I have a yamaha 9.9 hi-thrust on my 228, it will push you along just fine even in a decent amount of current. I know some people don't care for a kicker, but to me you would be a fool to go offshore with out a back up.

Tdurr22

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 2006 258 Journey with a single 250 Yamaha in excellent shape. The fact its a single engine always deters me from going past 10 miles or so. I boat out of Cape May NJ and would love to go for some tuna soon but that single engine always makes me think twice or more! What do ya think?
Man send it I live in Charleston and took my 95 overnighter with a 175 2 stroke Yamaha 55 miles to ledge for overnight trips. 1 motor is all you need just have a good vhf , tow boat insurance and all. Your safety gear.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a yamaha 9.9 hi-thrust on my 228, it will push you along just fine even in a decent amount of current. I know some people don't care for a kicker, but to me you would be a fool to go offshore with out a back up.
Thanks, good info.

Reactions: Ryhlick

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Wanted to put my two cents in although not the ocean. Today we opted to take 2000 GW232 from VT to NY to play golf. Ride over approximately 20 miles and was uneventful. Great day golfing (nothing better than pulling up to dock to golf course) and finished with Gin and Tonics. Took pictures and started motors for ride home. Got off the dock when starboard engine alarm went off. No problem so filled 2 cycle oil tank. Alarm did not go off so decided to go home with one 150 Yamaha engine at 10 mph. Long ride on flat water at 10 mph but got home.

Not sure being on the ocean would be as enjoyable ride. Nothing major of concern on my boat as will replace oil pump (2-cycle). Would be concerned in rough water with the one engine getting home. Love my 232 but the extra boat weight has to be considered. Scary but would try once and decide future trips.

Good luck and safe travels everyone. At some point I will retire and fish offshor.

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Fish out of Oregon and typically run 45-60miles out in summer for Tuna. 10-12 miles for Salmon. Winter when swells are below 7-8ft and winds are calm we will run north 20-30 miles for near shore fishing.
Mine is a 1997 Voyager 248 with the original Yamaha 250hp and 2001 8hp Yamaha T8 kicker motor which will push her along about 5-7mph.

In 19years of running offshore I only had one instance where Kicker motor was required to carry us. Main motor would only make 13-1400rpm, so we ran both motors making about 8mph, reported in with USCG every 30mins, and trolled our way in from 40miles out. The main motor never failed that day.
That happened in my first-year ownership and the issue was a pair of failing fuel pump diaphragms.

Service fuel pumps every 4years since and thorough maintenance every Spring.