looking for my first Grady White

mitchell

Reaction score
I am looking for my first Grady White. Located on the great lakes. Typical running conditions are 2-4 foot chop. Running 20 to 40 miles off shore.
We are not hard core fisherman but a family that likes to go places fishing for Bass walleye perch. Limited Trolling. Casting and still fishing mostly. Would prefer to stay with a Single Engine with maybe Kicker. Been looking for used Explorer, Voyager, Journey. I have noticed that the running bottom is actually longer on the Explorer and Journey than the Voyager if that means anything on ride quality. Recently I have considered stepping up to the islander268 or the 270. Also notice the running surface on the 270 is longer that the 268. In Gradys catalog they mentioned you could use single on the 270 however I have my doubts that this would be a good combination as the boat weighs almost 4700lbs Dry. Maybe a 268 0r 270 repowered to a 300hp might work? Any Suggestions or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We purchased our 2002 Islander 270 new in March 2002, with a single 250HP OX66. Repowered in Oct 2005 to twin F150s to improve our fuel efficiency sufficiently to fish 75nm offshore. Had 465 hours on the 250 when we repowered, and now have almost 1500 hours on the twins.

Have several friends with 268 Islanders. Both had 250HP OX66, and performance was adequate. One repowered to an F300 last year, and he says it is a great combination, and improvement.

For the use you mention, the 268 or 270 with a 250HP OX66 would be OK, and even better repowered to a new F300. (The V-6, not the older V-8, as it is too heavy).

Good luck,

Brian

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Mr mitchell;
From your description of the fishing you do, I assume your on Lake Erie, most likely in the Western Basin around or near the islands. The confused cross swell/chop action around Kellys, South Middle and North Bass is unique to the area.
If your further East toward Lorain and Cleveland going 20-40 off, the sea conditons change a bit, but can still be annoying.

I have a friend in SW Florida with a 258 Journey that regularly goes similar distances out to yours. I have rode along once and found the ride to be real good, especially for a 25 footer. I have a 232 Gulfstream and it does well, but I think his Journey rides a little better than mine, maybe because of the narrower beam. (He's 8'6" and mine is 9'3".)
He has twin 150's on his, but I would think you could find a Journey with a single 250 somewhere.

As you probably know, freshwater chop is tighter and steeper than the saltwater equivalent. A Journey or Gulfstream would do you well, in addition to ocnsir's Islander reccomandation.

mitchell

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Just curious if anyone has repowered with the etec. the 300hp or a twin combination for the larger islander? I like the idea of less matainace a little lighter and a more torque. I also like to winterization option. Probably would loss a little on resale since there are so many more Yamaha fans out there?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Mitchell,
Several years ago we were in a very similar situation. We passed on the islander because of the sub-par performance of the single 250 and the expense of repowering was not an option.

If the new F300 works well, then an etec should be very similar in performance minus the low speed fuel consumption (last I compared 4s are still better here). IMO being able to fog an etec by pushing a button is VERY valuable on the great lakes.

One other thing... maneuvering in tight quarters is challenging with our Voyager! The Islander will be tougher yet.