Need Advice on 225 Yamaha 4 Stroke

Battleship

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2002 265 Express with 2005 225 Yamaha 4 stroke Repowers, computer on starboard showed 250 hrs and port had new computer (showed 2 hours) but was said to have same hours as Starboard. Long story short within first 2 hours of our ownership the port motor went down (cruising at steady 4,000 rpm for an hour before problem), Yamaha mechanic says crank drove through powerhead. Initial quote for Jasper rebuild is $12,000. Do we rebuild, replace with used 225, or go with new 225? As you can tell from my explanation I am not mechanically inclined and am looking for a care free cost effective solution. Also what if anything can we get for a blown 2005 225 if we choose to purchase another (ECU is brand new)?

seasick

Reaction score
Battleship said:
Just purchased a 2002 265 Express with 2005 225 Yamaha 4 stroke Repowers, computer on starboard showed 250 hrs and port had new computer (showed 2 hours) but was said to have same hours as Starboard. Long story short within first 2 hours of our ownership the port motor went down (cruising at steady 4,000 rpm for an hour before problem), Yamaha mechanic says crank drove through powerhead. Initial quote for Jasper rebuild is $12,000. Do we rebuild, replace with used 225, or go with new 225? As you can tell from my explanation I am not mechanically inclined and am looking for a care free cost effective solution. Also what if anything can we get for a blown 2005 225 if we choose to purchase another (ECU is brand new)?

I wouldn't mix motor models for sure. The 2 hours on the ECU should have been a red flag.
One possible issue is that your motor or motors were/are suffering from the internal exhaust corrosion issue. If the oil pan corrodes, water can get into the motor and that can lead to catastrophic failure. It is not all that easy to tell if you have that issue without pulling the power head off and examining the exhaust housings and oil pan. My concern of course is that the 'good' motor might have issues itself.
Assuming the good motor is really good, I would look for a newer year 225 keeping in mind that any 225 or 250 should be scoped at a minimum to check for corrosion. Note that the corrosion issues seem to be less prevalent model years 2006 and later but can happen to any motor if it is not properly flushed in a salt water environment
Good luck

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
Battleship, great boat, you will love it! If you don't mind me asking did you purchase the boat from NJ? My buddy was looking at the 265 that was for sale in NJ with the 225's, but decided to go with one from DE with 200 HPDI's. Sorry to hear about your problem, and sucks the owner didn't disclose anything. Did you get the engines surveyed? My suggestion, prob not what you want to hear, is to sell the good/bad motor and purchase some brand new 4 strokes, either the new inline-4 200's, or new 225's. They come with a 6 year warranty, and you should be rigged and ready for a little over $35K. Good luck!

Battleship

Reaction score
Thanks guys. We purchased from NC and from the moment we arrived to pick up there were red flags and we should have walked away, live and learn. We have decided to look for a left over or late model 225 to replace blown motor. From the two hours we have run the boat we are in love, we came out of a 28' Sunsation so this is a totally different style. Looking forward to making it ours!

seasick

Reaction score
Battleship said:
Thanks guys. We purchased from NC and from the moment we arrived to pick up there were red flags and we should have walked away, live and learn. We have decided to look for a left over or late model 225 to replace blown motor. From the two hours we have run the boat we are in love, we came out of a 28' Sunsation so this is a totally different style. Looking forward to making it ours!
That's the spirit!

suzukidave

Reaction score
250 hours since 2005 is less than 30 hours a year.

since you have no personal history with the surviving motor, i would sell both and either buy new or get a used pair from someone repowering. if new is too much, maybe go to two strokes for now and you will not be that deep out of pocket after you sell the survivor and the parts motor and you can repower again in a couple of years.

dale1

Reaction score
Battleship. I just bought mine in Jan of this year. I really like it. I had similar problems, but not as bad. both of my motors were corroded. you can see my posts on it if you want to. anyways. I really like the boat. As long as you didn't pay to much, you'll like it. Dale

Battleship

Reaction score
Thanks Dale and congrats on yours! We have plans for new canvas in the spring, charcoal grey hull, and minor fiberglass work on pulpit and a few spots in cockpit. We rack store it and also have a trailer so it will be pampered the rest of its life! The motors did not appear to be a matched set, different decals and visible difference in condition. Although the power head has not been removed for inspection on running motor it is spotless and mechanic says computer read out looks perfect. The search for an "inexpensive" new lol 225 continues!

eppem

Reaction score
I have an 03 265, love it and there are plenty of guys on the site with the same boat who are here to help. Sorry about your issues, hindsight 20/20, did you have the boat and engines surveyed? Did you buy thru a dealer or private (meaning any recourse?).

Not sure what your fishing plans are but the 265 is the bomb. We ran 75 miles last week from Montauk to jump into the tuna bite at the tails - small boat with a big attitude! Good luck!

gw204

Reaction score
If you don't absolutely need the fuel economy of 4 strokes right now, I would sell both and pick up a set of 250 OX66s. There's still a lot of good ones out there and I bet you could get back on the water with two running motors and cash in your pocket.