Need help locating 10amp circuit breaker...

ultrarunner

Reaction score
Hey folks, the 3 CB's down at the battery switch are fairly corroded. The 10amp units are likely frozen. The OEM used Texas Instrument breakers in this location...the replacement, weather sealed units, from what I have been able to find, can be either Mallory or Blue Sea Systems. I can source the 40amp main, but cannot find these in 10amp.

This is the breaker which replaces what I have:

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/blue-sea ... t-breakers

Can anyone suggest a source for this breaker in 10amp?

Thanks,

Ultra

ultrarunner

Reaction score
Ok, a bit of sluething on google turned up that the orginal TI breakers are now part of Sensata, which makes Klixon breakers, which are also a direct replacement for the OEM TI units. And they can be had in 10 AMP versions... all done!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Other, well built boats (quality manufacturers) will use different styles of circuit protection, including in-line fuses - especially for low amp situations like this. Don't get caught up in the "the only way is the Grady way" line of thinking. That's not to say that their way is wrong - far from it - but there are other methods that are just as good... in some cases better.

If you want the one you pictured - Blue Seas - there are no other "sources" to buy it from if it's not made to begin with. Did Mallory's website show anything else? Another manufacturer of aftermarket parts is Sierra - you can check there, as well. You could also try googling "ignition-protected resettable 10 amp circuit breaker" - or some combination thereof. There are 10 circuit breakers commonly available, but they're typically panel-mount.

ultrarunner

Reaction score
Hi Dennis, thanks for your comments. And I agree with you...

My primary motivation in going with the same style/type of CB was because I'm too lazy to fabricate a new CB panel. Had GW consulted with me, I'd have told them to move that entire panel, along with the batts, to a forward, elevated compartment.....

With that said, I haven't pulled the wire diagram...of the three CB's on that panel, two are self-explanitory. But I don't know what the 'Memory' CB is for. Is there a printed circuit board or fuel computer back on the motor that is using that CB?

Thanks,

Ultra

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Engine computers will often times have a constant supply, as will a stereo (to retain the time and station memory). But those are typically only a few amps. Bilge pumps are another one with a constant supply, but they wouldn't be labelled "memory".

An inline fuse holder is SUPER simply to install and cheap. All you need are a couple butt connectors and a good crimp tool. Adhesive-lined shrink tube will make it a 'professional" job (that most manufacturer's don't do, by the way).

I don't have quick access to wiring diagrams, but it would help to know what year and model engine you have to better answer your question (and just in case anyone else reading this does have better access). :roll: :mrgreen:

ultrarunner

Reaction score
Thanks again for the tips Dennis, couldn't agree more.

The boat is an '05 225 Tournament, with the Yamaha 225 4-stroke.