New Grady 335 Freedom

Mortcat

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Could use some advice. Just bought a new 335 Freedom. I want to get the right electronics package. Boating on Cape Cod. Older captain so I want the biggest screens available. Having hit fog in the past without radar, I definitely want radar. This is my first Grady. Can you please advise. Much appreciated!

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
general consensus is that gamrin is the most user friendly and that furuno makes the best radars

edit - what do you plan to use the boat for? cruising or fishing? are you using radar just for foggy navigation, or spotting birds?

Last edited:

Mortcat

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
general consensus is that gamrin is the most user friendly and that furuno makes the best radars

edit - what do you plan to use the boat for? cruising or fishing? are you using radar just for foggy navigation, or spotting birds?
Thank you for the advice. We use the boat primarily for cruising and day boating with the grandkids. Radar would be used for foggy conditions.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I upgraded my 330 with dual Garmin 1243XSV MFDs. In addition I changed my radar to one of the Fantom solid-state radars. I previously had one of the older magnetron 18 Garmin radar and it was not nearly as sensitive and had less functions.The functions are amazing and easy to use. As an old retired Coast Guard officer I find these electronics packages to be almost unfair. They take all of the skill out of navigation and seamanship it seems! I have one through hull transducer and one GT 56 transom mount that provide sidescan works great! Your hull is similar if not identical to mine. Highly recommend a package that includes at least 12 inch displays For us more senior navigators, I am 72, 18” might be better but 2-12s fit in my console box. Good luck!

Last edited:

Mortcat

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I upgraded my 330 with dual Garmin 1243XSV MFDs. In addition I changed my radar to one of the Fantom solid-state radars. I previously had one of the older magnetron 18 Garmin radar and it was not nearly as sensitive and had less functions.The functions are amazing and easy to use. As an old retired Coast Guard officer I find these electronics packages to be almost unfair. They take all of the skill out of navigation and seamanship it seems! I have one through hull transducer and one GT 56 transom mount that provide sidescan works great! Your hull is similar if not identical to mine. Highly recommend a package that includes at least 12 inch displays For us more senior navigators, I am 72, 18” might be better but 2-12s fit in my console box. Good luck!
This is very helpful and I'm with you on the large screens! Thank you very much

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Thank you for the advice. We use the boat primarily for cruising and day boating with the grandkids. Radar would be used for foggy conditions.
might be a good idea to find out when the next boat show is in your area and go play with different displays. pick the one that you like the best and get a matching radar.

Mortcat

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
That's good advice. Thank you

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I Have two 16 in Raymarine Axiom Pro and can say it is an upgrade from 12 in screens at age 72 etc..... I also have Autopilot and Radar (Qantum) that helps with following weather development as well. The Autopilot is connected to the Axiom but I also have a separate Autpilot control that I frequently use for steering with knob.
Raymarine vs Garmin I must admit that boat came with Raymarine otherwise it would have Garmin most likely. The Garmin units I've had in the past on both boats and motorcycles are easier to use and update while they used to be better at backwards compatibility when updating equipment. The newest versions of Raymarine (now a part of FLIR) are though good and I can't complain.

I have a Raymarine transducer for the fish finder hanging out at the transom and since I mainly cruise it is doing its job.

H

Mortcat

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
That is really helpful. Thank you very much!