New owner in Annapolis MD

Twist

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
We just signed a purchase contract on a 2024 Freedom 275 that we'll be taking delivery of in mid-July. This will be us getting back in to boat ownership after nearly a 15 year lay off while we put the kids through school and got them all launched. Our previous was a Sea Ray 330 Sundancer that we used for cruising the Chesapeake Bay for several years.

I'm interested in tapping in to the collective wisdom here on all things Grady White. For example, anything in particular I should be looking for on our pre-purchase inspection and sea trial? Some things haven't changed in our time off the water but some things really have changed - a lot. I'm a nerd so looking forward to geeking out on the Garmin 8600 and joy stick piloting. That joystick thing is pretty cool. I took a demo ride on a Canyon 330 and parked it back against the bulkhead in a tight spot between two other boats - never been on the boat before or used the joy stick - it seems really intuitive.

Anywho, let the adventure begin!

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
congrats! you should love your new grady.

if you can, while being made, insist that the glass over the top of the transom. for whatever reason, they leave the core exposed and jut caulk a cap over it. over time water can get in and cause delamination, especially in freeze/thaw climates. this has been an Achilles heel for grady for decades.

also, if you have the coin and like high tech things that actually make a difference, see if they can outfit the boat with the Sea Keeper Ride system (this is not the gyro). its a system that has a motion pack and rapidly controls trim blades to actively control pitch, roll, and running attitude. some say that it closes the gap pretty well between a v hull and a cat in head seas. its a relatively new product with rave reviews from those that have had them installed. they are a bit pricey, though.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Some recent threads pointed to the 275 hull sensitivity to roll. When you do the sea trial pay close attention to how the boat trims with motors and tabs under various running and loading conditions to accelerate the learning curve. Cool to get a new boat with the joystick. Practice docking without it, since you already had a larger boat this should be easier!

Twist

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Some recent threads pointed to the 275 hull sensitivity to roll. When you do the sea trial pay close attention to how the boat trims with motors and tabs under various running and loading conditions to accelerate the learning curve. Cool to get a new boat with the joystick. Practice docking without it, since you already had a larger boat this should be easier!

I felt good about getting the boat with the joystick since the engines are so close to the centerline of the boat but I agree about being proficient with using differential thrust to maneuver the boat. I can't wait to get out and start my GW experience. I just went back in to the dealer and spec'd my first upgrade - a 8616 vs 8612 Garmin MFD. Cost difference is relatively low and it will fill up the panel space available. The larger display will be nice for split screen when I eventually add night vision or radar.

Twist

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I'm not taking delivery of mine for a couple of weeks but the kind folks at Tri-State allow me to sea trial an identical Freedom 275 they had in the water down in Deale. This did not have the Helm Master joystick but otherwise was the same. I haven't owned a boat for about 15 years and the first thing that struck me was how quiet the Yamaha 200s were both just idling out of the channel and up on plane. It was easy to have a conversation while running a bit over 30 mph. It was a pretty smooth day today but I managed to find a few ample wakes to cross at speed. I'm impressed with how smooth the ride is on this boat and how sporty it responds to steering inputs. The panel was empty on this boat but for the Yamaha engine management module while is pretty slick in its own right. Fuel burn, speed, and RPMs are right there easy to see. Looking forward now to see if there's any difference in the handling with digital steering.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Beaur90

Reaction score
I'm not taking delivery of mine for a couple of weeks but the kind folks at Tri-State allow me to sea trial an identical Freedom 275 they had in the water down in Deale. This did not have the Helm Master joystick but otherwise was the same. I haven't owned a boat for about 15 years and the first thing that struck me was how quiet the Yamaha 200s were both just idling out of the channel and up on plane. It was easy to have a conversation while running a bit over 30 mph. It was a pretty smooth day today but I managed to find a few ample wakes to cross at speed. I'm impressed with how smooth the ride is on this boat and how sporty it responds to steering inputs. The panel was empty on this boat but for the Yamaha engine management module while is pretty slick in its own right. Fuel burn, speed, and RPMs are right there easy to see. Looking forward now to see if there's any difference in the handling with digital steering.
we got our first Boat this Year at Tri-state, just a little freedom but we like it so much we have been eyeing up the freedom 275 for the next boat. We are in the west river area right by Deale and Tri-state took care of everything first class. Hope you enjoy your new Grady!

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
they really are nice riding boats. im sure these next few weeks will be a tough wait

Reactions: Twist

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
We are in 2 different worlds boats wise (My GW was built about 32 years ago.) But I'm sure I will see you out on the Chesapeake. We keep ours down in Deale and run up the bridge and Thomas Point light all the time.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Well, Tri State is right up the street! The parts lady there is awesome!. She will leave parts out for me because i"m an hour away and its hard to get there when they are open.

Twist

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I'm set to pick up my new boat this coming Friday. I feel like a kid at Christmas. They sent me a template of how they're going to cut the panel and started the outfit this week. Garmin 8616xsv, Helm Master EX, Yamaha CL7 control screen, VHF radio, and I had room for an inductive charging mount for my iPhone so I can have it in front of me as well. Now just hoping for good weather so I can put some hours on it before the end of the month.

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Congratulations on your purchase of the 2024 Freedom 275! Getting back into boating after 15 years sounds like an exciting adventure. Grady-White boats are known for their quality, so you're in for a treat. For the inspection, pay close attention to the hull, electronics, and joystick systems. Enjoy geeking out with the Garmin 8600—it's an impressive tool!

Twist

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I've been out pretty regularly getting familiar with the boat and systems and already putting it to some good use - family dinner out at Cantlers for some Jumbos

IMG_4259-L.jpg

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I saw the Annapolis, MD location in the title of the thread and figured you were talking about Tri-State Marine. I actually bought my boat used from them back in October of 2021. She's a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer that I purchased for $26.5k, of which I bought a plane ticket, flew out, did a sea trial run on the boat, agreed on a deal, rented a U-Haul truck and trailered her 3,009 miles back to just north of Seattle where I live. The folks at Tri-State Marine were all quite nice to deal with and didn't have any issues, other than some minor timing things that postponed leaving for an additional day. It was definitely a good experience though and I wouldn't have any issue with recommending someone to them for their next boat. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the hell out of her!

Twist

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Tri-State has been great!

BoatOV

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Congrats on the new boat! I took delivery of the same boat on 6/1/24 (although I went with 150's and no joystick). I boat in Delaware. Reach out if you have any questions. I'm still figuring things out! Great experience overall.

Twist

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I recently had my 20 hour service performed at Tri-State in Deale and it couldn't have gone smoother. I had a short punch list which they happily resolved but for one thing: my wet compass had failed and another one had to be ordered. A couple of days after bringing the boat back home they sent a tech out to my home dock and replaced the compass while on my lift. I can't say enough good things about Tri-State support after the sale.