NJ fishing reports

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Tried shipping lanes early. Just false albacore. Ran the Glory pots for mahi. There were a lot of small ones and they weren’t cooperating much. Then we got this 55” wahoo! Hit a daisy chain of metal/mylar jetheads with a trailing squd strip. Crazy fast fish. Luckily didn’t get bit off. On the way home found a lonely pot and we chunked 20 taco size mahi

IMG_4235.jpegIMG_3433.jpeg

Last edited:

Iceman2010

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tried shipping lanes early. Just false albacore. Ran the Glory pots for mahi. There were a lot of small ones and they weren’t cooperating much. Then we got this 55” wahoo! Hit a daisy chain of metal/mylar jetheads with a trailing squd strip. Crazy fast fish. Luckily didn’t get bit off. On the way home found a lonely pot and we chunked 20 taco size mahi View attachment 34957View attachment 34958
Great work

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Every September these tiny weakfish cover the bottom from Sea Girt down to Mantoloking. They never come back as big ones in any numbers
IMG_3489.jpeg

Last edited:

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Tried shipping lanes early. Just false albacore. Ran the Glory pots for mahi. There were a lot of small ones and they weren’t cooperating much. Then we got this 55” wahoo! Hit a daisy chain of metal/mylar jetheads with a trailing squd strip. Crazy fast fish. Luckily didn’t get bit off. On the way home found a lonely pot and we chunked 20 taco size mahi

View attachment 34957View attachment 34958
Skunk,

Nice Wahoo! Are you heading out for tuna these next few calm days? the Barnegat Ridge was good for over a week for bluefin on the troll. Not sure where they are now.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Skunk,

Nice Wahoo! Are you heading out for tuna these next few calm days? the Barnegat Ridge was good for over a week for bluefin on the troll. Not sure where they are now.
I'm gassed up and I think I will get out Friday. Need a crew.... Really want to go Thursday but have to work morning.

Hudson on fire with yft early am chunk bite. AP Triple wreck area is hot & cold. Seaside/shipping lanes bft is sporadic. My buddy saw very large BFT crushing bunker near Axel reef while fluking last week.
I just heard an unconfirmed whisper about squid back at SS lump.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I was at the AP 2-3 weeks ago and there was lots of action with birds and plenty of marks, but no bite. If the SS lump is active there will be a large fleet! I was late to the party last year, but would love to try it this year. I plan to head out Sunday - hopefully not too late.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
I'm gassed up and I think I will get out Friday. Need a crew.... Really want to go Thursday but have to work morning.

Hudson on fire with yft early am chunk bite. AP Triple wreck area is hot & cold. Seaside/shipping lanes bft is sporadic. My buddy saw very large BFT crushing bunker near Axel reef while fluking last week.
I just heard an unconfirmed whisper about squid back at SS lump.
I fished Little Italy this afternoon, think I saw Skunk running through just as we were getting there, maybe 3 other boats. Started trolling, good marks in the middle water column but all we caught on the troll were false albacore. Started chunking / jigging a live snapper got hit but pulled the hook, not a tuna, thinking smallish mahi. Ran through monster ledge in the way home and pulled a few small mahi off the first pot we tried, back at the dock by 6.
Heading to AP tomorrow morning. People I talked to on the radio said it was slow out there, plan B pot hoping.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
yep I came home right across Humpty.

I trolled SS lump to Tolten area at first light Friday. No bites. Marks and small scratches of bait. Ran out to closest Glory pots. Trolling mahi got 2 love taps on 50 pots. Pot hopped same pots coming back. 1 out of 10 pots had a dozen fish. They followed a very small Finesse jig to the boat. When I threw butter fish chunks they completely ignored them. Managed to get 3 bites on the jig and only boated one. That was dinner last night. I didn’t go to AP because the guys on 65 there were saying lots of life no bites. The mahi was full of tiny tiny fish. I guess they were keyed on really small bait.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer

I trolled SS lump to Tolten area at first light Friday. No bites. Marks and small scratches of bait. Ran out to closest Glory pots. Trolling mahi got 2 love taps on 50 pots. Pot hopped same pots coming back. 1 out of 10 pots had a dozen fish. They followed a very small Finesse jig to the boat. When I threw butter fish chunks they completely ignored them. Managed to get 3 bites on the jig and only boated one. That was dinner last night. I didn’t go to AP because the guys on 65 there were saying lots of life no bites. The mahi was full of tiny tiny fish. I guess they were keyed on really small

I trolled SS lump to Tolten area at first light Friday. No bites. Marks and small scratches of bait. Ran out to closest Glory pots. Trolling mahi got 2 love taps on 50 pots. Pot hopped same pots coming back. 1 out of 10 pots had a dozen fish. They followed a very small Finesse jig to the boat. When I threw butter fish chunks they completely ignored them. Managed to get 3 bites on the jig and only boated one. That was dinner last night. I didn’t go to AP because the guys on 65 there were saying lots of life no bites. The mahi was full of tiny tiny fish. I guess they were keyed on really small bait.
We left the Highlands at 6 and picked up a couple more snappers. Rolled into AP around 9. Lots of Whales and good bait but no major tuna marks, trolled till 11 and setup for chunking. About noon the deep snapper on 40 floro went off, 60ish yellowfin in the box. Just after we boated it had one blast a sardine that was floating next to the boat but no more bites. Pot hopped on the way home and picked up a couple.
Screenshot_20240914_200107_Gallery.jpg