Old GW questions

Bacmb

Reaction score
Hello! We’re looking at an older GW as a first boat. There is a good looking 88 and 91 190 tournament near me. Both have much newer motors. We’re going to have whatever we get checked out by someone more knowledgeable than us, but I wanted to ask if there were any problems specific to these models that we sold part close attention to?

-- Update: thought it might be worthwhile to post more definitive specs...

Please shoot holes in the deals, or let me know what I should be checking.
  1. 1988 GW 190 Tournament ($14,900)
    1. 2012 Yamaha four stroke 150hp engine with 491 hours
    2. 2 year old trailer
    3. Simrad touch screen GPS
    4. Boss stereo system
  2. 1991 GW 190 Tournament ($12,500)
    1. 1993 Magic Tilt Trailer
    2. 150 Evinrude E 150 with 100 hours

Last edited:

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Boat one is a 30 to old boat.. You are basically paying for the motor 2012. 14.9k sounds high.. I have not seen the boat.. Maybe it's pristine.. Buts it's 30 up. With a 8 to motor.

Boat 2 similar to boat one.. I dont know your budget. Better to save and get something newer.. Just saying. I don't know all the facts..you may want to fix up a boat.. I don't know what's your plans family fun boat or strict fishing get in some water boat .

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Neither one of those is a SeaV2. Find a newer one. They are out there and for the same money you can find a late 90s boat with a 150 OX66.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Bacmb

Reaction score
Thank you all! How will I know it the boat I’m looking at has the SeaV2? Is it all gw’s from a certain year model forward? Also, several folks have told me we should really try to get a 4-stroke. Isn’t the ox66 a 2-stroke? Is there something about it that gives it an advantage over other 2-strokes, or is the 4-stroke just not that big an average?

thanks again!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Boat one is a 30 to old boat.. You are basically paying for the motor 2012. 14.9k sounds high.. I have not seen the boat.. Maybe it's pristine.. Buts it's 30 up. With a 8 to motor.
What in sam hill are you saying? I think Bloodweiser has been drinking a few too many Budweiser's! It's called "proofreading"! :)

I generally agree with the others that you can probably find something newer for the same amount. But, maybe these two boats are, as mentioned, in pristine condition? That could very well warrant the price. Another thing to consider is location, location, location. We don't know where this market is - which can have a big impact on price, as well.

Reactions: Bloodweiser

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I think by 1996 the 192 had a Seev2 hull. I had a 98 192 and it did. My brother had the 190 and it was a fine craft. I rode on it in the early 90s and don't remember much about the ride quality because I was in college and was just happy being on a boat. Lol. My 192 rode great for a 19 footer.

The one area of that boat regardless of SeaV2 or not that you should pay attention to is the stern where the cap meets the hull in the motor well. There is a strip of aluminum they use to finish the joint and it has been vexing to many GW owners as it's a point for water intrusion into the stern. After 2000 Grady switched to Greenwood XL which had a 50 year no rot warranty. Then in 2015 they went full composite on all models. Don't know your budget, but the SeaV2 hull does ride better and if you could find one 2000 or later it would be better. Grady did discontinue the boat for a couple years as they had a Tournament 205 . Then they stopped the 205 and brought back the 192. About the same time they dropped Tournament name and brought in Freedom. Same boat different name.

Bacmb

Reaction score
Great info, thank you. So if I can find a post 2000 192 or 205 that would move to both the seav2 AND the Greenwood XL. So the search is on!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Remember too that there was a gap for several years where the 192 wasn't made. GW made the 185 Tournament and the 205 Tournament. The 192 was brought back and lives on, even today.

What part of the country are you in?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What in sam hill are you saying? I think Bloodweiser has been drinking a few too many Budweiser's! It's called "proofreading"! :)

I generally agree with the others that you can probably find something newer for the same amount. But, maybe these two boats are, as mentioned, in pristine condition? That could very well warrant the price. Another thing to consider is location, location, location. We don't know where this market is - which can have a big impact on price, as well.
It was Cinco de Mayo yesterday.....o_O

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Modello especial corona has a virus in it...think about it.......oh I blame stupid auto correct on the typing.. ;)

Bacmb

Reaction score
We're in the Savannah, GA area. Sounds like I really need a newer boat to get away from a lot of potential wood problems. I wonder if we're simply at too low a budget to get a GW that's going to not be more trouble than fun?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can find a 192 in your price range. Patience is your friend.....

Topjimmy

Reaction score
Yep hold out for a 94+ 192 Tourney I am the original owner of a 1994 192 first year of the SEEV2 hull and has the original 150 2 stroke and still going strong and you can get them out here in PNW for about 10K for a nice one and I am sure they would be cheaper on the East Coast

GradyW4life

Reaction score
Thank you all! How will I know it the boat I’m looking at has the SeaV2? Is it all gw’s from a certain year model forward? Also, several folks have told me we should really try to get a 4-stroke. Isn’t the ox66 a 2-stroke? Is there something about it that gives it an advantage over other 2-strokes, or is the 4-stroke just not that big an average?

thanks again!

Bacmb,
The best way to find out if the boat your looking at is a seaV2 is to go and look at the archive brochures for the year your interested in at Grady White website. They will have the hull specs. They also have the owners manuals which is a life saver sometimes on these older Gradys. In regards to the 2-stroke vs 4 stroke, The Yamaha 0x66 is a 2 stroke, and a very reliable one at that. Around 1999 they started offering a Fuel injected version, I don't think it gets any better GPH rating, but it starts easy. The 4 stroke will be quieter than any 2 stroke, will be better on gas, but will be heavier for sure. It depends on what your looking to do. I sometimes see people put a smaller motor on their boats than what their boat should have, just so they can have a 4 stroke. I have found that you want the boat to be powered right to perform correctly when you load it down with gear and people. Too small of a motor will struggle to get up on plane would have a harder time pulling a skier or wake board.

Last edited:

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The other thing you are fighting is the time of year - hard to pick a worse time to boat shop; at least where I live. I like October - January, but I realize everyone has his/her own angle.