Opinions and Advise Please

steve3060

Reaction score
Thinking of going from Mako 261B to older ( 97 ) Grady Marlin. We like to run deep and GW gives us more options. We fish out of Port Canaveral Fl.

OK, now for the boat I am considering: 97 Marlin loaded with goodies w/250 OX 66s' Here are my questions:

1. When I value boat for bid purposes looking at hull only. Engines have no value. Comments.

2. Will re power quickly and looking at Yam F 250s' with upgraded guage package for both stations. What do you think of engine choice and upraded guages? Got a killer deal on the 250s' but also would consider Zuks' and E Tecs.

Anything else good or bad with this particular year/model? Thanx!

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sounds like you are are doing all your homework, I think you will be very pleased wit your choice.

1. Assuming the engines still run, they do have some value. I am just guessing, but I think you could get between $2500 and $3500 forthe pair depending on the condition. However, I think your plan is to suggest the engines have virtually no value, don't see how your position can hurt you.

2. You did not mention just how bad the old 250's are, so is it necessary to replace them immediately? If you can swing it, it would be nice to have a brand new set of of outboards. From the many posts that I have read here you could have a problem with the additional weight of the four strokes. If my math is correct the F250 motors are about 100 pounds heavier (each) than the 250 EFI engines. Deduct about 50 to 100 pounds for all the 2 stroke oil (and the boat mounted tanks) needed on a long trip and the weight difference is not that much. I think you would be best served by contacting Grady directly and asking them. Of all the Grady models made prior to 2002, I think the Marlin might be the least likely to have problems with the weight of the four stroke engines when compared to the two strokes. Finally, I think the Yamaha F250 are the ideal outboards for the Marlin.

Gary M

Reaction score
Good choice on the Marlin! I have a 2001 and love it!

I also have the OX-66s and as was said, if they are still tight, they are worth some cash. Probably enough to pay for the new rigging and gauges.

Going with Yamahas will save you some bucks versus Suzukis, etc as some of the rigging, throttles, etc will be able to to be used again and the swap out will be a lot simpler by sticking with Yamahas.

I agree, call Grady just to make sure that the '97 hull will be okay for the additional weight of the F-250s.

If you go through with the whole thing, take some pics and post the story as you go along!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A good set of 250 OX's should get some $. 200# on a 11000# loaded boat shouldn't be that much of an issue especially if you don't have the genset.

It's a good time to buy a boat if you're able, the prices of used boats have tanked.

SlimJim

Reaction score
I looked at doing the same thing and had 3 1997 GW Marlins lined up with all 3 having the 250 0x66 engines. I backed out because I found out I could get a better deal on a 2000 or 2001 model and get the newer look with the nice round window look instead of the dated cabin windows the 97 has. I also would be very careful of putting 4 strokes on a 97 hull. The weight is more pounds and you could have some issues. I would feel better putting 4 strokes on a 2001 or newer Marlin. I ended up not getting the Marlin because I was able to get a good deal on a 265 and the smaller 265 would work better for me for the type of fishing and cruising I do as well as it was newer and cheaper to buy and overall fuel costs and slip rents and overall it made more sense for me. Why buy a 97 when you can get a 2000 or 2001 for about the same? Look around there are tons of Marlins for sale. Also I have talked to alot of Marlin owners and with the 250ies ox66 I have heard its about 1 MPG. Thats a costly run for short run fishing trips.

steve3060

Reaction score
Opinions and Advice Please

Thanx everyone. I will check with GW on the F250s' I've heard that the OX 66s' get as little as .7 and 1.0 is good plus they chew a lot of oil. We generally run 85 - 100 miles per trip so I'd just as soon lose them ASAP.

Anyone have experience with E Tecs' ? They are lighter.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
engines

I'm a 2 stroke guy. If possible will never go to the Dark Side of 4 strokes.
I have had experience w/ the E-TEC's. My buddie went from a pair of 115's to a single 225 E-TEC (Hydra-Sport Vector) and it is by far the best 2 stroke I have ever handled. Immediate response through out the throttle range, amazing hole shot and scary fast top end. It's also miserly on gas.
Another 228G in the harbor went w/ the 225 E-TEC w/ same results. Increased performance and big drop in fuel consumption.
I love the E-TEC and it will be my next engine.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The '97 Marlin is the first year the euro transom running bottom was extended rearward all the way to the engines. That offers improvements on several fronts, including more boyancy for heavier motors, IMHO, even though those big block OX66s are no lightweights to begin with.

The OX250s are worth plenty, if intended to be sold individually, otherwise you are waisting ad time. I would say $3500 each or more on the market depending where you are. It may take some time, but you will attract buyers who midseason blow a single or one of a pair, and don't want to spend the $6K for a power head, nor loose a few weeks for the rebuild time. Forget getting anything from the dealer, they will offer zero or 5 cents to a dollar.
To sell an engine you don't need to be concerned with a sea trail, but all the better if you have the time. The compression can be checked on or off the boat. You can store the engines off the boat until the sale on the same shipping stools the new engines come in from the factory inside the big box. Be sure to instruct your dealer accordingly what you want done.

If you stay Yamaha, you can save about $7K in new instruments and rigging cables and wires/labor, unless you want the new style Comand Link instruments.

The difference between a counter rotator and regular RH rotation engines is entireley a few parts in the gear box, then a prop that is designated for a LH engine - it has its blades angled the opposite way. All electrical and mechanical controls are identical, as well as ability to run a single boat fine.

Good luck.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Actually it may be better to run the OX's until they're sold (reasonable time frame). A buyer will feel better if they can witness the engines running instead of someone's word.

Does the boat have a generator?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There is a very nice 2000 Marlin at Bayside Marine for 73,000- just lowered the price 10K. I was debating buying it and doing the repower to four strokes but ended up going with a 2004 Sailfish.

steve3060

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone. I am limiting my boat search to the east central florida area where I live and there are plenty of Marlins to choose from. Two sellers may want to trade for my Mako ( very nice boat ) which eliminates the boat selling hassle and helps on taxes.

Your replys have made me re think the immediate re power and I may try to sell the OXs' while on the boat. Dealer would not give me much but in fairness to them their price on the F 250s' was rock bottom.

I was leaning towards the new Command Link ( ? ) guages. Any experience? The one Marlin has two stations.

The two " trade boats " are a '97 loaded for probably $50ish and a super clean '01 for $75ish. Any comments on these hulls/designs? Both have the OXs' w/lower ( 500 ) hrs. Thanx!