Ordering the perfect GW

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looking at the boats at the boat show and the lineup of features and options, here is an old salts view on a 30' plus GW in the Northeast. I'm not up on all the options today, so fire away....

Would Order:
- Twin OBs, Bow thruster, Transom glassed before boat sees water, Fusion Radio, Shore Power, Hardtop rod holders, Cabin rod holders, dual helm chairs, power assist steering, vacuflush head, Bow cover for CC and DCs.

On The Fence:
- Hot water heater, outriggers (may add myself later).

Would Not Order:
- TV, AC, Chill Plates, Generator, motorized seating, sirius radio, helm station cover for boats with hardtop, motorized anything, colored hull and companion/complex seating.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, my first thought is that if it has hot water, there is no reason to heat it again. Next I would remove the garboard plug and rebed it properly, remove the rod holders and seal the exposed wood with resin. That is if they are still using wood in the gunnels. Same thing on the splashwell drains.

Reactions: PointedRose

Coastboater

Reaction score
I’d look in to options for the motors. With digital controls and steering, maybe consider a joystick, although that would limit the bow thruster usage.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
The motorized rear facing seat is pretty cool. Definitely worth getting.

Reactions: Stephnic

Fishtales

Reaction score
Naah, just another thing to break in 5 years. I like the boat simple and spartan.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Naah, just another thing to break in 5 years. I like the boat simple and spartan.
I have a 2003 Grady and, in my opinion, it's in pretty good shape (I do have a generator, water heater and AC). I wonder if I had the optional motorized and electrical gadgets that are now available, how many of them would be PITA gremlins. Hey, I'm not knocking the bling - go for it if you need them. I'm just wondering, like Fishtales, that if you plan to keep a boat for over 5 years, if they're worth the maintenance hassle?!?! Salt water is a formidable adversary.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think the biggest consideration would be if you plan on vacationing or mooring overnight on the boat, or for several nights at a time. If so, I think a few things would be quite important, such as the hot water heater, AC, generator and so forth. I don't see the need for a tv though as pretty much everyone has a smartphone or tablet to bring along, or a mind boggling idea would just be to have fun and entertain yourselves without the need of electronics. But yes... a water heater for being able to take a hot shower as well as AC would be important, especially for the wives or gf's and especially if you live in a warmer climate. I can only imagine how hot it would get in the cabin without AC when it's close to 100 degrees outside. I also wouldn't like go with anything motorized in that it'll likely need to be fixed or replaced sometime in the near future, of which I imagine that would cost quite a bit of money to do so. Though again, if you're spending a ton of time on the boat and/or sleeping on it overnight and can justify the added expense? I say go for it. I've also not been a fan of the colored or wrapped hull, as well as the matching color of the hull painted underneath the hardtop. To me, it looks completely different and not like a Grady White, though that is just my opinion of course. If I did go with a painted or wrapped hull, it would likely be the grey "Coastal Fog" color. But again, that's just me.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I use the generator occasionally if we stay over or are a spot and need ac. Hotwater, tv etc on the boat but rarely used. I've been lucky no big issues other than genny starters. I'll do the impeller this year, but I think boats are getting too much high maint items added to drive purchase price. Unless a 35+ footer, most of it is a waste of time IMHO.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Looking at the boats at the boat show and the lineup of features and options, here is an old salts view on a 30' plus GW in the Northeast. I'm not up on all the options today, so fire away....

Would Order:
- Twin OBs, Bow thruster, Transom glassed before boat sees water, Fusion Radio, Shore Power, Hardtop rod holders, Cabin rod holders, dual helm chairs, power assist steering, vacuflush head, Bow cover for CC and DCs.

On The Fence:
- Hot water heater, outriggers (may add myself later).

Would Not Order:
- TV, AC, Chill Plates, Generator, motorized seating, sirius radio, helm station cover for boats with hardtop, motorized anything, colored hull and companion/complex seating.
Personally, I like the colored hulls and would order that as an option. My 2008 GW is white, but GW White is really an offwihite, and often looks like it has a pink tint to it. Agree with most of your other adds and deletes, but I don't do overnites on the boat so don't need those related amenities.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good option today as it is gelcoat vs paint. Colored hulls look sweet but many look faded and chalky later in life. Seems like it would be more work to keep decent looking, but I agree they look sharp when new or well cared for.