Panicking please help

Grief

Reaction score
Hello everyone long time lurker here but I’m finally posting, I have a 1992 Gulfstream GT over the past month I redid most of the wiring had a new gas tank made and detailed the entire boat top to bottom I also ordered twin 140 Suzuki’s that I’m now panicking about because I started reading that these motors might me underpowered for the boat. The reason I went with 140s is they are pretty much almost the exact weight of my old 150 Yamahas and every boat guy I talk to even my surveyor said stay as close as you can to the old weight. Does anyone on here run twin 140 Suzuki’s on there Grady? How is it? Please let me know thank you guys so much I’ve learned a lot from this website

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I don't have an answer for you but funny thing, I just drove past an old Grady 24 Offshore that had twin DF140s (actually the were the old Johnson clones). I thought "I wonder if thats enough power?"
They looked to be faded early 2000s motors so he's been running with them for a long time.

I had a single DF140 on my old 20 footer and it was a great motor.

Grief

Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you but funny thing, I just drove past an old Grady 24 Offshore that had twin DF140s (actually the were the old Johnson clones). I thought "I wonder if thats enough power?"
They looked to be faded early 2000s motors so he's been running with them for a long time.

I had a single DF140 on my old 20 footer and it was a great motor.
The Gulfstream did come from the factory with a single 225 in 92 so I do have more horsepower than that, but what makes me worried is the Suzuki 140 is the same block as the Suzuki 115, when you go to the 150 its the same block as the 200. The main reason I went with the 140s was the weight I had a friend who repowered his 94 sailfish with 4 strokes and he had transom problems because of the weight. The 140s are only 40 pounds heavier than the old Yamaha 150s

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Boats are like cars; everyone wants high hp numbers to flex and hit top end but how many actually use all of that power on a regular basis?

Make sure they’re propped correctly (consider 4 blade propellers) and set up well and you’ll probably not notice performance lacking unless the conditions are perfect and you’re trying to max out.

If not having the 150s will bother you forever you could call your dealer and ask to upgrade; I’m sure they won’t mind you asking to go with a more expensive engine one bit...

Or you could go with 115s, still be above the original hp, save on the purchase price, and the fuel :p Probably not enough power for heavy loading/rough water use because they Gulfstream is a heavy boat.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I owned a 2007 Gulfstream for 10 years with F200's.

Twins are important on that hull because of it's weight and it's beam-to-length ratio. I'm guessing twin 140's is better than a single 250 and many of the Gulfstreams came with that. That said, 140's on that boat is underpowered, in my opinion.

Like Holokai says, make sure they're propped right. I would opt for the 150's if possible unless you would get into trouble weight-wise.

Grief

Reaction score
Boats are like cars; everyone wants high hp numbers to flex and hit top end but how many actually use all of that power on a regular basis?

Make sure they’re propped correctly (consider 4 blade propellers) and set up well and you’ll probably not notice performance lacking unless the conditions are perfect and you’re trying to max out.

If not having the 150s will bother you forever you could call your dealer and ask to upgrade; I’m sure they won’t mind you asking to go with a more expensive engine one bit...

Or you could go with 115s, still be above the original hp, save on the purchase price, and the fuel :p Probably not enough power for heavy loading/rough water use because they Gulfstream is a heavy boat.
Going from twin 150 2 strokes to twin 140 4 strokes doesn't bother me at all I just don't want the boat to feel like a dog I fish offshore a decent amount and usually have 4 people on the boat, with the old 150s I cruised at like 4200 rpms at 30mph but I could get the boat up to almost 47mph I would like to cruise at the same speed im not really concerned about crazy top end

Grief

Reaction score
I owned a 2007 Gulfstream for 10 years with F200's.

Twins are important on that hull because of it's weight and it's beam-to-length ratio. I'm guessing twin 140's is better than a single 250 and many of the Gulfstreams came with that. That said, 140's on that boat is underpowered, in my opinion.

Like Holokai says, make sure they're propped right. I would opt for the 150's if possible unless you would get into trouble weight-wise.
Me dealer said I should be fine with the 140s the 150s where 6 thousand dollars more and would add another 500 extra pounds on the bracket. Apparently my dealer said the Suzuki 140s are capable of running bigger props than other 140s

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You are fine with the 140’s. I recently bought my boat right after an experienced boater had repowered it with 250 Suzuki’s. He got ill and had to sell it.He had the boat since new with Yamaha 250’s. My 2002 330 Express is 3 times the weight of yours. Probably 4 times when full of fuel and water. Everyone said don’t buy it. You need 300’s or 350’s. I took a chance and went and ran it. Completely loaded. I cruise at 29mph at 4500 rpm. I hit 39 wide open. My fuel economy is 1.33 mpg which is phenomenal.
If you want to run 50 plus mph. You may want bigger heavier motors. If your a cruiser or fisherman. You‘ll be happy with the speed and economy Of the 140’s.
Other boats like mine only get 2mph higher cruise and 3 mph top speed with 300’s.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Z
Me dealer said I should be fine with the 140s the 150s where 6 thousand dollars more and would add another 500 extra pounds on the bracket. Apparently my dealer said the Suzuki 140s are capable of running bigger props than other 140s

The Suzuki’s have different gearing than other brands. For example, a Yamaha 150 has a 2.00 gear ratio whereas the Suzuki 150 has a 2.50. The Suzuki 140s are running 2.59 gears.

Give Ken Reeves at Prop Gods a call and give him your setup details; he’ll be able to recommend props that are appropriate for your application. You can also call PowerTech directly as their people can give you suggestions for your setup; they ended up with the same recommendation as Ken.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The Suzuki guys sent me to Marcus at PowerTech. They got my set up perfect. The Suzuki’s have 2 reduction gears. One at the top of the driveshaft, and one at the bottom. that allows them the better Gear ratio’s for turning bigger props. It also sets the powerhead 4” farther forward which is good for weight distribution. One of the best features they have over the competition is a self adjusting wet bath timing chain vs a timing belt.

Reactions: Holokai

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The Suzuki guys sent me to Marcus at PowerTech. They got my set up perfect. The Suzuki’s have 2 reduction gears. One at the top of the driveshaft, and one at the bottom. that allows them the better Gear ratio’s for turning bigger props. It also sets the powerhead 4” farther forward which is good for weight distribution. One of the best features they have over the competition is a self adjusting wet bath timing chain vs a timing belt.
My engines are the DF250AP fly by wire motors.

Grief

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies hopefully getting the engines this week I will let you guys know how it turns out

Fishtales

Reaction score
Will work out in the end. It is 20HP delta, really nothing.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Z

The Suzuki’s have different gearing than other brands. For example, a Yamaha 150 has a 2.00 gear ratio whereas the Suzuki 150 has a 2.50. The Suzuki 140s are running 2.59 gears.

Give Ken Reeves at Prop Gods a call and give him your setup details; he’ll be able to recommend props that are appropriate for your application. You can also call PowerTech directly as their people can give you suggestions for your setup; they ended up with the same recommendation as Ken.
Plus 1 for Ken at Prop Gods. Super to work with, especially long distance customers ;)

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yea, I'd stick with those 140's and just tweak them to get the most out of them.. hell.. 600 bucks.. will buy a lot of pro-level tweaking lol

R

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Plus 1 for Ken at Prop Gods. Super to work with, especially long distance customers ;)

Agreed. He answered the phone later than normal (I’m 6 time zones behind) to ensure I was getting the right prop. Both his pricing and shipping cost/time were the best I could find for PowerTech.

Looking forward to the seeing what numbers the boat puts up with new engines!

Grief

Reaction score
So update on the boat, I had the 140s installed and they look great I’m a little disappointed in the speed though the props my dealer put on are 14x17 the boat does reach 6100 WOT but I’m cruising at like 24 mph at 5100 rpm which seems to me very slow. Should I look into repropping? Prop god says I should run 14x21 with the 140 Suzuki’s I’m currently still in the break in period I only have 8 hours on the engines currently

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So update on the boat, I had the 140s installed and they look great I’m a little disappointed in the speed though the props my dealer put on are 14x17 the boat does reach 6100 WOT but I’m cruising at like 24 mph at 5100 rpm which seems to me very slow. Should I look into repropping? Prop god says I should run 14x21 with the 140 Suzuki’s I’m currently still in the break in period I only have 8 hours on the engines currently
those props are way to small. Call the dealer that put the motors on a tell them that. They should change them no charge. Put less concern in reaching 6200 and get props that work for you.The range is 5600 to 6200. That means Suzuki says it doesn't have to be 6200.
I'd say at least 14 x 20s. I had a single df140 on a 20' wellcraft it had 3 blade 14 x 20. Topped out at 5800-5900. Perfect performance. Cruised 30+ and got 3.6 mpg. topped out about 36 mph when heavy, 39 really light in perfect conditions.It had a hardtop and enclosure.

Just went thru this with new Suzuki DF200s on my 265. After several tries they had me with 3 blade 16 x 20s. topped out at 6100 but they spun coming out of the hole, just not enough prop.
Ended up with Suzuki 4 blade 15.25 x 22. The dealer did upcharge me for the difference going to 4 blade. He would swap to new 3 blades no charge. The dealer said if you run these for a month and want to try something else we can do it...we sold you motors to work on your boat the way you want it....

Grief

Reaction score
those props are way to small. Call the dealer that put the motors on a tell them that. They should change them no charge. Put less concern in reaching 6200 and get props that work for you.The range is 5600 to 6200. That means Suzuki says it doesn't have to be 6200.
I'd say at least 14 x 20s. I had a single df140 on a 20' wellcraft it had 3 blade 14 x 20. Topped out at 5800-5900. Perfect performance. Cruised 30+ and got 3.6 mpg. topped out about 36 mph when heavy, 39 really light in perfect conditions.It had a hardtop and enclosure.

Just went thru this with new Suzuki DF200s on my 265. After several tries they had me with 3 blade 16 x 20s. topped out at 6100 but they spun coming out of the hole, just not enough prop.
Ended up with Suzuki 4 blade 15.25 x 22. The dealer did upcharge me for the difference going to 4 blade. He would swap to new 3 blades no charge. The dealer said if you run these for a month and want to try something else we can do it...we sold you motors to work on your boat the way you want it....
Thanks for the reply should I wait till the 20 hour oil change to change the props or go bigger right away? My dealer is kind of a know it all and keeps telling me the 17 pitch props are good and he puts them on a ton of boats I need to go at him with some info so he doesn't make me look like a moron