Plug Wires!!!! Angering me! Help!

pfd161

Reaction score
1993 Yamaha 175
Plug wires keep coming off in chop.
I can tell right away as my RPM's drop and I pull off the cover and yesterday 2 wires came off.
I am going to try and zip tie around the boot unless someone else has a better idea?

I did try and tighten the spring in the boot...but it's a spring and it didn't work...damned near ruined the plug wire. Hopefully it still works as it seems to go back on the plug now...

any idea's appreciated!

Dennis

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Did you try pushing the spring/wire out through the boot to get a better look at it?

How old are the wires (and plugs)? It might be time for a new set, anyways.

Other than that, zip ties are about the only thing I can think of, too. But I wouldn't call zip ties a "fix" -- more of just a temporary measure until you replace them.

seasick

Reaction score
pfd161 said:
1993 Yamaha 175
Plug wires keep coming off in chop.
I can tell right away as my RPM's drop and I pull off the cover and yesterday 2 wires came off.
I am going to try and zip tie around the boot unless someone else has a better idea?

I did try and tighten the spring in the boot...but it's a spring and it didn't work...damned near ruined the plug wire. Hopefully it still works as it seems to go back on the plug now...

any idea's appreciated!

Dennis

If the metal sleeve can't be compressed to make a more solid connection, than it is time to buy new cables. If they have never been changed, it's time anyway.
Using a zip tie to hold the boot in place is not a good solution. Since the sleeve is obviously loose, arcing can occur in the sleeve to plug terminal connection and that can cause spark issues as well as burning of the boot
If you do buy new cables, spend the money and buy good ones, sized for that motor.

pfd161

Reaction score
New oem wires have the ignition coil attached at $90/ea x 6 ....
Looking for a cheaper solution.... Doesn't appear the boot itself can be replaced?
Thanks.

Dennis

pfd161

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
Did you see my questions above?

Are you sure you can't get the cap/boot assembly separate from the entire cable/coil setup?

Thanks Dennis.
I did grab one of the springs with needle nose pliars, after squeezing the tip of the spring thinking it would make it lock in. I ended up just deforming the spring, pulled it half way up the boot but was afraid their was a wire on the back side of the spring? Gave the boot a tug and seems like it won't separate from the wire. Didn't try terribly hard for fear of breaking something.

Thanks for your help....

Dennis

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've never done this with the spring-type, but can't imagine it being any different. Don't pull it out - push the cable in and only pull hard enough to "guide" it out of the boot. The boot to cable "connection" might be 'stuck' from years of heat - and it may need to be rotated to free them from each other. Once it's out, you might be able to wind it tighter.

#4? http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html

seasick

Reaction score
pfd161 said:
DennisG01 said:

Are you sure you can't get the cap/boot assembly separate from the entire cable/coil setup?

Thanks Dennis.
I did grab one of the springs with needle nose pliars, after squeezing the tip of the spring thinking it would make it lock in. I ended up just deforming the spring, pulled it half way up the boot but was afraid their was a wire on the back side of the spring? Gave the boot a tug and seems like it won't separate from the wire. Didn't try terribly hard for fear of breaking something.

Thanks for your help....

Dennis
Some suppressor type cables have the book 'screwed' on. You turn the boot CCW to unscrew from the cable

pfd161

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
I've never done this with the spring-type, but can't imagine it being any different. Don't pull it out - push the cable in and only pull hard enough to "guide" it out of the boot. The boot to cable "connection" might be 'stuck' from years of heat - and it may need to be rotated to free them from each other. Once it's out, you might be able to wind it tighter.

#4? http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html

If they sell the boots separate they must come apart. Will try in a couple days when I get home.

pfd161

Reaction score
seasick said:
pfd161 said:
DennisG01 said:

Thanks Dennis.

Thanks for your help....

Dennis
Some suppressor type cables have the book 'screwed' on. You turn the boot CCW to unscrew from the cable

Will try it thanks seasick!