Prop size

Marriott714

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
My 92 175 spirit has a Yamaha 90 2 stroke and seems to lag get up on plane. Prop that came with motor I purchased with boat is 13-1/4 x 17 and has some repaired damage on it. Looking to replace with stainless. Any suggestions on what prop I should choose.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would stay with an aluminum prop. Easier shifting, motor does not produce enough thrust to flex blades and much cheaper. As far as the correct spec for your next prop, you will base that off of the performance of the 13 1/4 X 17 on it now. With normal load and nicely trimmed, what was the WOT rpm. How does that number compare with recommended max rpm range for that motor?

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As noted, you're not really going to see the benefits of a SS prop on a smaller HP motor. Save your money.

Also as noted... first get some performance specs before doing anything. There's multiple reasons for a slow hole shot - tired engine... dirty bottom... banged up prop... fuel condition... even operator error. Before we go down that road, it's important to have data. Go WOT and keep trimming up till speed no longer increases or the prop starts to ventilate. Note the Max RPM and post back with that (and your engine's rated RPM range as Half mentioned). Until we have that - we can't really help.

But things like a fin or, even better, Smart Tabs... "could be" the solution.