repower 1993 Spirit 17

scotty

Reaction score
Greetings all:

This is my first post so thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have on the following:

I am considering re-powering my 1993 GW Spirit 17, The boat has a 1993 Yamaha (2 stroke) 115 HP (great motor!) and I would like to rig a new Yamaha of same HP. As best I can tell, the weight difference is about 65 pounds. Was wondering if anyone out there has re-powered in a similar manner and whether there were any performance related issues I should be concerned with. Someone mentioned that porpoising might be a problem (I do not have trim tabs on the boat, nor do I want to install them). I have contacted GW and they did not have any information regarding this particular topic.
This is an expensive proposition for me so wanted to cover all my bases before I proceeded.

Appreciate any comments you may have, Thanks!

highnoon

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
I have a 92 Spirit 17 with a Yamaha 115 4 stroke and do not have any issues with performance. I too do not have trim tabs on my boat. The Spirit handles the 4 stroke just fine at any speed. Any boat will porpoise if you don't trim right.

JimboF

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
What shaft length did you use on the Yamaha 125 4 strokes

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What shaft length did you use on the Yamaha 125 4 strokes
Being a 4S or 2S makes no difference regarding shaft length. It's dependent only on the height of your transom. What is the measurement of your transom height?

FYI, you're responding to a thread that is nearly 10 years old. One of the guys only posted one time and hasn't been back.

Fishtales

Reaction score
10 years! Time for a new motor.