Scotty Downrigger

CHULA22

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
I have 2020 Canyon 271 and I would like suggestion where to install the Downrigger? Please advise?

CHULA22

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
The easiest way to make it look like factory? The rear stern?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd post the question in the general discussion portion of the forum as you're likely going to get way more hits than you will on here. That being said, I've got two Scotty downriggers that I used Burnewiin brand mounts with and I love the outcome. Imo, the cheap black plastic Scotty downrigger bases are just that... very cheap looking. So, I bought some Burnewiin brand mounts and couldn't be happier with how they look. They are by no means cheap, but I think you definitely get what you pay for and a very clean looking boat in the process. Attached are a few pictures of my setup. They have a quick release sliding button that makes removal or insertion very simple and I like how they look like a "stock-ish but on steroids look" to them. I also leave my boat out on a mooring buoy during the summer in front of our beach cabin, so it's nice not having the plastic Scotty downrigger bases on the gunwales when climbing in and out of the boat, and not racking your knees or shins on them. Nor do you have to take the 4 black plastic knobs off and remove the bases every single time you go out. These are the much nicer, more refined option in my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide on going with. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Grady White Burnewiin.jpegGrady White Downrigger Mount.jpegGrady White Downrigger.jpegGrady White Downriggers Installed.jpeg

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I've got a 2020 228 (same year so likely same rod holders) and I've used Scotty downriggers and puller in the rod holders. People tell you they are not strong enough and people are wrong. I had a crab pot get tangled in an abandoned fishing net (big one, commercial) and we had 2 200 pound dudes pulling on that crab line hard enough to heel the boat way over and the rod holders didn't budge. That was in addition to the puller running.

No cracks in the transom, no issues of any kind.

I'd try the rod holder approach and see if you like it. It's nice because when they aren't in use, there is no extra mounts on your gunnel.
It does mean you have one less rod holder so get the downriggers that have a rod holder on them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like aft on the gunnel as in the pic above. I'm one of those that would say the GW rod holders are weak at best. Look inside. The housing is ok, the lock pin is a rivet which under the wrong circumstances can break and whatever is in the holder could move and move violently. If your going to use a rod holder, I'd get the strongest one you can.

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
mount the base at a location where you can comfortably stand to operate the downriggers... as far to the rear as you can