solar battery charger

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a 2012 Freedom 275 on a slip from May-Oct. I do not have shore power. A couple times this past year when tinkering around on the boat listening to the stereo the battery that runs stereo runs down (dual batteries). It usually happens if I spend a considerable amount of time or maybe I couple times without running motors. I was wondering if anyone uses a solar charger and if so what size and do I need a controller to go with it.

Thanks

coctober1

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello there - Did you ever find an answer to this question? My old boat had a Promariner plug in charger and old slip had shore power. My new 2008 Seafarer has no charger installed nor new slip has power - so I am also looking at solar for dockside music. So far, i believe a 100W, 5Amp kit would keep up w/ a stereo (non amp) power draw. Or that's what I looking at...

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi - I've been using solar to keep my batteries topped off in my storage. I just redid my set up with the below panel and controller. I use 1 panel to charge both batteries with SAE quick connects on my battery. I have used this type of set up for over 10 years, my batteries typically last 5-7, I replace them before the go bad.

I don't charge on the water and I do not run anything while charging - this is the set up I use for storage only.

You could also buy 2 small portable solar trickle chargers - much easier and cheaper.

1723476082317.png

1723475763191.png

1723475824232.png

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hello there - Did you ever find an answer to this question? My old boat had a Promariner plug in charger and old slip had shore power. My new 2008 Seafarer has no charger installed nor new slip has power - so I am also looking at solar for dockside music. So far, i believe a 100W, 5Amp kit would keep up w/ a stereo (non amp) power draw. Or that's what I looking at...
I have no shore power too and boat is on a lip for almost year around
Ex owner gave me two 170W Ecoworthy flexible solar panels to install but i have not installed them yet.
I bought a Victron solar charger and the cables and as soon it's fresher i will install them and go over the whole electrical system and plan to replace the house battery with the biggest LiFePo i can fit.

Take the measures to figure out what size you can fit and take the biggest ones, the price difference is usually not a lot.
If you should replace the flooded with LiFePo you will have about the double of usable Ah than wet ones with half of the weight.

When i am on my boat i can hear music with a Fusion Amp and the MFD's on for at least 4 hours and the hard wired house and starboard 100Ah batteries still crank the starboard engine.

Regarding the charger shown in the Amazon photo above, i have the same but without display and i consider it as a cheap, not very good charger and suggest to spend a bit more and get a serious solar charger. The Victron i have has Bluetooth and a app who show battery status, charging state and amps what is always nice to know.

Chris

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
agree on the charger, it is not meant for on the water use. I have it enclosed in a box. That said, they system has served me well for storage on the hard.