Spirit 175 bilge pump location

PacificBanger

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
Hello everybody thank you in advance for any help. I have a new to me 1992 Grady White spirit 175. I keep the boat in the water in a dock, and I believe I may have taken on a little bit of water. I have a switch on my dash that says aft bilge pump Nothing happens when I flip the switch. To be honest, I’m not sure if the switch is even hooked up to anything. Can somebody tell me where to look for or how to access the bilge pump location? .

seasick

Reaction score
The pump would be as far aft as possible , low in the bilge. There will be some sort of access to the aft bilge. On your model the pump will be in the bilge under the motor well. Pop off the round access plates and look for the pump.
The bilge pump has two modes, automatic that uses a float switch to sense water and turn on the pump as well a manual mode that uses the switch at the helm. The automatic mode is powered directly off of a battery . It is always live as long as the battery is not dead. The manual mode gets power form the accessory fuse panel that is powered when the battery switch is turned ON.
Find the pump first and then locate the float switch. There will be a way to manually trigger the float switch. That might be as simple as lifting up its arm (fairly common type).
You should hear the pump turn on. If it doesn't you might have a bad pump, or bad wiring or perhaps a bad in-line fuse that will be near the battery

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A quick side note to what Seasick mentioned... the boats is over 30 years old and has had who knows how many owners. Things could have been changed many times by now. Our suggestions will only be assumptions - just get your eyes on things and start making sense of it/figuring it out. The system is very simple.

And... bilge pumps are always located in...... the bilge Don't over think this one

seasick

Reaction score
I don't know Dennis. I have a couple of bilge pumps on a shelf in my basement:)

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Grady usually runs their pump/float switch to the battery switch, not the battery itself. Look for a small brown, or brown with pink stripe, wire connected to the switch, and an fuse holder a few inches away.

PacificBanger

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
Thanks for all the input, I’ll be back at the boat on Saturday to have a look.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You should have a through hull about foot in front of the transom, and a foot above the water line on one side of the boat. That's your bilge discharge. follow the attached hose to find your bilge pump.

Reactions: PointedRose