Sunglasses

Mortcat

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Loving my new Grady Freedom with Garmin screens. Any advice on best sunglasses to see screens and reduce glare? Polarized vs non-polarized, lense color, etc…

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm using Tonic Sunglasses. They are photo chromatic, polarised in a copper tint lens. They are also prescription.
They really accentuate the colors on the MFDs and are much easier to see the screens than my last pair.

There are a lot of good fishing glasses out there.

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I used a lot of poralized sunglasses:
Revo, Serengeti Drivers, Ray Ban, Polaroid, Costa, Maui Jim
There was no substantial difference in the lenses itself, excluding Polaroid what are cheap plastic lenses.
Most difference was the frame regarding fit, look and wind protection for the eyes what i very important.
For wind protection for the eyes created by vortex between sunglasses and face i use wrap-around style ones.
Actually i have a pair of Maui Jim Local Kine with green lenses and newly a Maui Jim Stingray with grey lenses i like more as this model is smaller and still protect well the eye from vortex and the gray lens don't alter colors.
Maui Jim are from my experience the best made ones and i find the glass lenses superior to other brands.

All Garmin MFD's i know of work with polarized sunglasses
Chris

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm a Maui Jim fan personally. I have prescription Peahi with gray lenses that have worked well for me. I started out with Costas but switched when I tried on a pair of Maui's,, never went back to Costas.

Reactions: Legend

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Like KY Grady, I have a pair of Maui Jims with my prescription in them. They really make a difference on the water. The one thing I notice is to see the MFD screen details, I need to be pretty much looking straight on. If I am looking at even a 20 degree angle to the side, the image goes away.

Twist

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
If you're looking for a less expensive option Shady Rays are working fine for me.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Maui Jim Pokowai Arch for me!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Maui Jim for my choice - expensive but great customer service - send them to maui Jim for new lenses and in a very few days they are back fully restores with lens and arms as good as new - flat fee covers the repair. Tough to beat theeir visual performance .

Reactions: Ky Grady

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've got a pretty massive dome and can be limited to certain sized sunglasses... of which a few years back I ended up going with some Oakley Double Edge Prism Black Polarized sunglasses and really like them. At the time, they were around $125 and I haven't had any complaints with them so far. They're nice looking, they fit really well, the lenses are really good and they're great for viewing screens in the sunlight or overcast, etc. I'm admittedly quite frugal over a lot of things and looked at the Maui Jim brand at the time, but it seemed like most of their polarized sunglasses were in the $200-$300+ range, and I didn't want to spend that on something I'll likely scratch, drop, break, etc.

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
but it seemed like most of their polarized sunglasses were in the $200-$300+ range, and I didn't want to spend that on something I'll likely scratch, drop, break, etc.
I had several pairs of Maui Jim and broke one as it fell 6 ft on the concrete floor with some sharp edged gravel (after the fell on the floor already several times) and lost one when gaffing a fish.
The other two ones i actually have are in pristine conditions and i believe that MJ uses very good glass, optically excellent and very sturdy what make them hard to break and scratch, i never scratched an of them and the one i broke a glass was just bad luck that she fell on one of the gravel rocks.
But yes, MJ sunglasses are expensive but as a former charter captain and guide being 300 days a year on the sea i prefer to have the best sunglasses to protect my eyes.

Chris

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Several pairs of Maui Jim Peahi in different lens colors. They provide great sun and wind protection, are very comfortable to wear all day long and with the sides wrapping down behind my ears I've never had a pair slip off my face regardless of how sweaty I was or what I was doing. My old Lowrance and Furuno MFDs were more sensitive to angle but I've had no issues with reading my Raymarine screens from pretty much any angle or anyplace in the boat.