Thinking about air ride seats for my 228

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
As my kids get more comfortable in the boat (meaning we smash into the waves and it doesn't fall apart like a cheap suit), we're going faster. The ocean is never flat enough to actually open the boat all the way up, fastest I've had it has been 40mph.

It beats you up, we did a 15 mile ride home 30-40mph, with the bow trimmed down, it beats you up. Maybe that seevee2 hull is better than other boats, it still beats you up. My back was sore, my 18 year old's back was sore.

Yeah, I know, we could go home at 20mph but what fun is that? It's my new toy, I want some fun.

So I'm wondering about air ride seats in a 228/226. Anyone done that? Was it worth it? Brands to avoid? Brands to buy?

Shockwave seems like the only one that will fit, it is 7.9 inches, the current spacing is 7.75 inches. But you lose the ability to slide / rotate the seat. They'll sell you that mechanism but it raises the seat 2 inches.

Any comments folks?

Last edited:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The 228 really likes the 25-30 cruise speed where it is also the most comfortable in 2-3 foot seas. The only time I run 40 plus Is the lake.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I wish I could get 25-30 in 2-3 ft seas. 2-3 in the ocean is way different than 2-3 in a tight bay chop. I take water over the bow all the time in. 2-3 tight chop.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It doesn’t matter how well built a boat is, if you flog it things will break.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I think I will break long before my Seafarer will, I flogged my last one for 7 years she was still intact when I sold her.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I wish I could get 25-30 in 2-3 ft seas. 2-3 in the ocean is way different than 2-3 in a tight bay chop. I take water over the bow all the time in. 2-3 tight chop.

I run in all sorts of places . In the Keys in Hawk Channel or the Gulf side you get shorter chop seas. On the Gulf you get it to up in the panhandle. In those conditions I look for the sweet spot by trimming the motor and hull with the tabs. My wife doesn't like water coming over the bow, pounding or any of that stuff. Her anxiety kicks in and life sort of stinks.

The 228 like other cvee 2 hulls runs well using the trim tabs. In many reasonable sea conditions where you would want to boat or be in a small boat the 228 will ride nicely but you may not be going as fast as you like. It's still just a 22 foot boat .

You are right , 2 to 3 in the ocean with a 8 to 12 second period is more comfy than 2-3 with a 4 second period.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This opens up a topic that I have wanted to address from time-to-time; wave height. I will start a new thread.

To Luckydude's question: I would never put air-ride seats in a boat. I would just slow down to compensate for conditions, and protect the boat. However, he wrote the check; if he wants to install 'em, he's the Captain.

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The guy next to me has a Parker with twin 300's put 2 air ride seats in, to the tune of 10k installed!! ouch.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had a shock absorber seat in my Silverstreak when I lived out west. It was a Canadian boat that I had built when I spent a year living on Vancouver Island. It was not a full suspension seat like you see on many pilot house Pacific coast boats, but it did a good job. Full suspension seats look like the ones you see in the driver seat of many buses. They don't hold up to the elements well outside of a pilot house. Mine was just a pedestal seat with a gas shock absorber built in. IT WAS GREAT! If I could find something like that which would fit my Grady I would get one in a minute.

I wouldn't flog the boat any harder than I already do. But I'd sure feel a lot better after a 40 mile run in the Gulf chop. The hull can take a lot more abuse than I can.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lucky.
My rule is slow and comfortable. Point. Being to be able to go out the next day. Yes your boat can do 40mph.but if your knees and back take a week to recover? What's it. Worth?? Slow and enjoy

Reactions: SCBuckeye

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky.
My rule is slow and comfortable. Point. Being to be able to go out the next day. Yes your boat can do 40mph.but if your knees and back take a week to recover? What's it. Worth?? Slow and enjoy

Well I haven't figured out the 228 yet then. I can't go slow enough that it is comfortable unless I fall off plane. It bangs at 20mph. I didn't see much difference between the bangs at 20 and 40, they just were faster at 40. I need to try a stern lifting prop, I'll call that prop god dude today. And I need to play with the trim tabs.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
You haven't described your conditions that you went out in. If the seas are wind-driven localized 2 footers, playing with props won't help if it's a quartering or head sea. (Didn't you have your tabs fully deployed?) In a following sea or anything abaft the beam, you'll get a much better ride. The only uncomfortable aspect of a down sea situation would be some athwartship roll, although Gradys are pretty stable.

I've said this many times and I've owned a Seaferer; if your in 2 footers and over, it will be a rough ride. It's a 22 foot boat and your in open waters. You only get so much. Anything over 2 foot and you'll pound if your on plane.

Wave heights are often overestimated and not accurately described. Again, I don't know what you were in, so I can only guess. Your freeboard is roughly 2 feet on your boat from waterline to the top of the gunwale. If the seas are cresting over that, your getting close to 3 footers. If the waves are created by 15kt winds, you have a lousy trip in store. If they are long-period swells spawned from a distant storm, you should be in much better shape.

As good as Gradys are, they are not the smoothest riding boat in the sea. The advantage of a Grady is the TOTAL package of a decent ride, real stability, great workmanship and a strong support network of dealers and factory reps.

I think it's neat that your entering this phase. My sincere wish is that you get the max fun factor out of your investment. Speaking from across the Continent, it sounds to me like your expecting it to run in rougher conditions than it will do comfortably. Adjust your expectations and your cruising speed and have a blast.

Reactions: Pighunter

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
You haven't described your conditions that you went out in. If the seas are wind-driven localized 2 footers, playing with props won't help if it's a quartering or head sea. (Didn't you have your tabs fully deployed?) In a following sea or anything abaft the beam, you'll get a much better ride. The only uncomfortable aspect of a down sea situation would be some athwartship roll, although Gradys are pretty stable.

I appreciate your thoughtful reply. It was swells, windy.com said 5 feet at 11 seconds. I think it was less than that, the ocean laid down a bit in the afternoon (unusual). Following sea. Tabs were not fully deployed, I'm still learning those. I have had the boat try and "tip over" when I played with them so I'm a little gun shy. I'll try more next time.

Almost 100% of the time I'm gonna have a head sea if I went south and a following sea if I went north on my way home.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey, happy to chime in.

I've been there with the tab adjustments. I heeled my Seafarer over as well in my early days by holding the toggle switch down for too long,. The tab fully deploys; then, presto, the boat is heeling hard over.

It's easy to get impatient while pounding thru an uncomfortable situation, so the tendency is to lay on the toggle 'till you get a result. However, as we both discovered, the results are too drastic.

Hit the toggle switch in increments of a few seconds, then let off and the boat will take a minute..wait...then it assumes it's new attitude according to which tab you adjusted. Then, hit it again for a few more seconds. repeat until the boat is where you want it to be.

Practice getting the hang of the tabs in calm water. Learning how they react and the nuances they create is best done when your not holding on while the boat is pitching in rolling conditions.

Pighunter

Reaction score
Luckydude you just have to slow down. I haven't had my 228 out yet. But other boats I've owned and riding on other peoples boats I can say your not going to be able go full speed in the Pacific and be comfortable. It's not a lake, You will figure out the trim and motor just sit back and enjoy the ride and the view.

Reactions: magicalbill

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Luckydude you just have to slow down. I haven't had my 228 out yet. But other boats I've owned and riding on other peoples boats I can say your not going to be able go full speed in the Pacific and be comfortable. It's not a lake, You will figure out the trim and motor just sit back and enjoy the ride and the view.

Well, I'm doing something wrong because slowing down doesn't make it better, all it does is lengthen the period between bangs. Dylan and I were playing around and for some waters, faster felt less bad. Obviously, if I fall off plane then it doesn't bang but you are going crazy slow and getting horrible gas mileage. I'm gonna play with the trim tabs next time and talk to the prop guy.

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I've been there with the tab adjustments. I heeled my Seafarer over as well in my early days by holding the toggle switch down for too long,. The tab fully deploys; then, presto, the boat is heeling hard over.

Hit the toggle switch in increments of a few seconds, then let off and the boat will take a minute..wait...then it assumes it's new attitude according to which tab you adjusted. Then, hit it again for a few more seconds. repeat until the boat is where you want it to be.

Practice getting the hang of the tabs in calm water. Learning how they react and the nuances they create is best done when your not holding on while the boat is pitching in rolling conditions.

Great advice, very useful, I'll get on it. I may take a trip down some afternoon just to practice stuff. I've sorted trimming the engine (though I need to figure out where it gets on plane best, I suspect trimmed back a little), I need to sort the trim tabs, I need to practice tossing one of those cushion life preservers out at speed and then turn around and get it solo (simulates a kid overboard) and have the kid do the same, I _so_ need to practice docking. And practice docking some more. It's always a bit of drama and I don't think I can do it alone yet, I can barely do it with the kid helping.

So many projects, who thought being retired would be this much work? Just kidding, I'm loving it.

Reactions: magicalbill