thru hull fittings

earl tober

Reaction score
can someone please tell me when g. w. switched to the better bronze thru hull fittings. thank you . earl tober

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They did this because some fittings were underwater and the plastic fittings would deteriorate and require replacement, as well as provide possible points for water to enter the hull. Plastic would deteriorate from the UV rays, as well as contaminates in water. The plastic thru hulls are ok, but should be sealed with 5200 or Boat Life sealant products, ideally they should be replaced with bronze or chrome.

fishone

Reaction score
I have a 95 seafarer, and it has plastic thru hull fittings. Last year I replaced three of them with Stainless steal ones and really gooped them up with 5200. they look nice. Not sure when GW changed over though.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Earl: I see this is your first post, so welcome to the site. By their catalog, Grady started using chrome over bronze thru hulls in 1998. Prior to that they were plastic.

Hope this helps.

Rob

fishone

Reaction score
Thanks wahoo, I also, was curious about when they changed over to metal.

Ladybug

Reaction score
I've been trying to get my plastic fittings changed to bronze (1997 248Voyager) , but have been told that it would be necessary to cut a hole in the cockpit on each side, port & starboard, to access the hardware. Did anyone who changed their fittings experience this?

chrisA.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
LB,We had the rear scuppers changed last summer on our Islander and they had to cut an access port under the stern door,it wasn't a big deal in my book,I told them to do whatever they had to do to make it work.I'm going to have the two fittings for the fishboxes changed in a few weeks and I wouldn't be surprised if they had to cut in another door somewhere as both fittings have shutoffs on them,as long as its a neat job,its not a big deal.The place is close to home and if they have a question about anything,I always get a phone call first.

Ladybug

Reaction score
thru hull fittings

ChrisA, thanks for the response. Given your location I imagine Crocker did the work for you. If that's the case, I guess that access holes are a must...because Crocker should know their Gradys. Wrightsville is where my boat was first launched, although it was purchased in Gastonia, NC.

Did they install access ports where the holes were made?

chrisA.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
LB, Crockers did not do the work, Saltwater Marine on Carolina Beach Road did and I have to say they are an excellent bunch and I would have no problem recommending them to anyone.Yes,there is an access port where they cut the hole,I'm not sure anyone could have changed those on the starboard side without getting better access to them,I might be wrong but the job is done and I'm happy with it.I could have told them no way that I didn't want an extra port but I like to work with people to make their lives easier too.