Trailer tires?

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
One of my 3.5 year tires came apart on me. So I'm looking for new tires. A buddy said goodyear endurance - those are $190 each, seems spendy but is that the best answer? The trailer is 2 3500 pound axles so I'll do E rating.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Your buddy is correct. Goodyear Endurance is the way to go. Have them on all my trailers.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Are you just replacing the one tire? If you aren’t planning long distance trips you’d be fine with something cheaper, no doubt. Your other 3 tires may last a while yet, so I’d probably just get something similar to what your have and at some point down the road just replace them all.

what happened with the one that went out? 3.5 years isn’t a very long life although I know you get a lot of use. Be sure to keep them pumped to the recommended psi

Evan B

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I’ve had the GY Endurance tires in my camper for probably 5 or 6 years now. They’ve been great.

I didn’t spend the money on the boat trailer tires simply because it weighs considerably less than the camper and sees far fewer miles. I ended up buying some shop brand tires.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I moved from the factory tires on my new trailer to the GY Endurance and hoping for the best luck with them like others that have had them longer are saying they are excellent!
I had great success with Maxxis over the years. Never a blowout or failure. By the way I am very anal about the correct tire pressure and check often to make sure they are correct.
The Kenda's that came on the new trailer failed at 4 years. Seems they had premature dry rot issues.
Previous boat and trailer had nothing but trouble out of the Carlisle's. Sorry guys, just my experience and also a friend had same experience with his back in the early 2000's time. That is when I did a lot of research and was told to go to Maxxis and they did not dissappoint.
A lot of this depends on how far to trailer. My tow is 3 hours each way and speed around 70ish on the interstate. That type of towing demands some really good tire quality to hold up. If towing a few miles, any brand will suffice I suppose.

Reactions: Peter A

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My tow is 17 hours and 1,121 miles, one way. I wanted the best tires I could get, that's why I went with the Goodyear Endurance

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Based on your testimonial and many others, I went with the GY Endurance since I have had enough of blowouts and tire changes. My tire change method is now a perfect science and last time was able to change out in about 8 minutes give or take. No jack, no wrenches. Hardest part is finding a spot to do the change safely. Hope not to have to worry with that anymore! ;)

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
OK ROBERTH, spill the beans on your tire change technique, I like the "perfect science" approach. but you have left us hanging on the details.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
ive aslo heard that the gy endurance and carlisle are the best. i dont think there are any others in the conversation.

more important than picking a brand/model is the correct load range. make sure your tires match or exceed the load range on the sticker on the tongue. also as a sanity check, read the sidewall max load and make sure that all the tires can handle more than the weight of the trailer.

BigD808

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Goodyear endurance, after I blew 4 of my Carlisle’s. Spendy but worth the money.

NHAngler

Reaction score
They are worth it. I researched the heck out of this subject before buying Endurance. I went from a load c to d but also from Goodyear Marathons (aka: marabombs) to the Endurance. From my research at the time, the Endurance was the only trailer tire made in the US.

All that said, match the tire to the purpose. If I did not trailer my boat so much and only had one axle, I might have opted for other quality branded tires at a lower pricepoint.