Trim tabs

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I charter my boats from 1999 on and made a few hundred thousands miles, with on client, with five clients with 12 clients and with 16 clients and sometimes on the dive boats with the scuba dive gear and this conditions changed every day.
First boat was a BW 23 Outrage and she had no trim correcting devices and i did not missed them either as i learned to shift the weight accordingly to the sea conditions and load aboard.
The only boat i had what needed trim tabs was the 99 Venture 34 who was stern heavy due the twin DF300AP i installed what led to the need for trim tabs half down when going over the hump to reduce ventilation issues, once on plane i could retract them completely.
I could reduce a good amount of trim tabs needed and a big part of the ventilation problem adding about 200 lbs in the bow locker what gave her a bit better level

OP's 92 seafarer may benefit of or need trim tabs if he has a four stroke installed, having a outboard with the GW recommended weight and HP he should probably not.

Are trim tabs needed? in most cases not as the need to them can be solved in another way.

Running miles and miles with one tab down to correct list as people are on one side is exactly what trim tabs lure to as it's comfortable, but it's the wrong way to handle that. Just move the right amount of people on the other side that boat planes at level, same for people walking constantly around, i explain them that it's dangerous and that they have to sit down and stay there when at speed.

SkunkBoat explained well his believe and i agree 100% with what he wrote.

Chris