Vista top & that nasty wood fake trim

T Mills

Reaction score
Where can I find a quote for the vista tops I see on the tournament series boats. I live on the coast and the sun is killing me. Also is there an inexpensive alternative.

Second is what can I do about the faded junky looking trim wood/plastic/ugly faded nastiness that keeps my new grady lookin horrible even after a full day clean & Wax.

choogenboom

Reaction score
I accidentally spilled hydraulic steering fluid on my fake wood trim - looked like new after I wiped it off. I suspect armor all or something similar would work equally well.

Winterville Machine Works makes the OEM Grady tops - check with them www.wmwworks.com .

DB

Reaction score
Second is what can I do about the faded junky looking trim wood/plastic/ugly faded nastiness that keeps my new grady lookin horrible even after a full day clean & Wax.[/quote]

The best way and easiest way to clean the old trim is with a product called Penetrol simply wipe on or brush on. Be careful not to get excess on fiberglass it will shine but also leave a film. Your other option is to remove the old trim and replace it with starboard, this is what all the new models are trimed with.

Good Luck.

wilson

Reaction score
my 89 has that plastic covered kitchen counter top crap to. i sanded and taped off using plastic and news papers and sprayed topside enamel paint for marine use on it. four very light coats and a top roll and tip. it took awhile to prep and using a gun with that paint was tough. but the the roll and tip finished it to what looks like gel coat. then replaced the screws and grommets. i did it 3 yrs ago and it still looks great. some people have used starboard brand plastic board and some even used teak to replace that bulkheading. i priced it and it was a small fortune. i want to paint the head inside and out next.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've tried all of the suggestions posted here for my trim (penetrol, WD40, etc.), and they all worked. For a very short time.

Finally, early this year, my wife was applying a coat to our teak cabin door (the only teak we have left; the rest is Starboard), and she put it on the woody stuff. I freaked, and said the stuff was meant to be absorbed into wood, not painted over the plasticky fake wood! It looked beautiful, but I figured it would stay wet and sticky forever. Instead, it dried and has stayed looking like new for more than six months now with no signs of fading or oxidizing again.

The product was West Marine's version of Cetol, and looks and applies just like a wood stain. It's so good they should mention this use for it.