Wash down/Livewell System

lazy grady

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
7/31/24 My 1994 GW 245 Explorer's fresh water system pump continually runs. I checked the switch. Unhooked all wires. The pump continually runs.

I can not locate an access to what appears to be in the GW Diagram as to the 2 pumps under the Port side seat. I checked under the deck by the fresh water tank; No Access?

I pulled the fuse, pumps stoped. Need assistance as to access?

seasick

Reaction score
What and where was the fuse you pulled?
The pump should be powered by a feed at the helm switch panel The switch should say Fresh Water. That switch may or may not have a circuit breaker.
When the switch is o, the pump will pump if the water pressure on its output is less than the required pressure. Normally that happens when you use the fresh water fixtures. It cak also happen if there is a leak in the system and sometimes when an inline filter (if present) is clogged.
So, does the fresh water system work and if you pulled that fuse did it stop working?

lazy grady

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
What and where was the fuse you pulled?
The pump should be powered by a feed at the helm switch panel The switch should say Fresh Water. That switch may or may not have a circuit breaker.
When the switch is o, the pump will pump if the water pressure on its output is less than the required pressure. Normally that happens when you use the fresh water fixtures. It cak also happen if there is a leak in the system and sometimes when an inline filter (if present) is clogged.
So, does the fresh water system work and if you pulled that fuse did it stop working?
7/31/24 Fuse was pulled in the cabin fuse panel. I opened the "helm switch panel", supposidly located the switch. I then disconnected each terminal and spayed each with WD 40. Upon connecting all terminals (I think 4) back up, the motor or motors continued to run. There is a rubber type circuit breaker below the switch. The fresh water system at the lavatory in the cabin does NOT work nor does the faucet on the gun wall even though the pump runs.

Question: How do I access the pumps? It appears they are under the port side seat. There appears to be "no access that I can ascertain. I checked in front of the water tank below deck as well as under the pull out draws under the port side side box. No access?

Thanks for your efforts.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
On mine the pump is accessible by removing the top of the steps into the cabin. Screws under carpet edges. Not sure how your boat is setup.

Pump should be on your switch panel at the helm. Again not sure how your boat is setup.
Panel Front 3.jpeg

If the pump doesn't pressurize the water system it won't shutoff. Could be no water, hose leak or broken pressure switch inside the pump housing.

Reactions: vocz and wspitler

seasick

Reaction score
When you connected you say the pump 'continued' to run. When the switch was disconnected, did the pump stop running?
If so, I would suspect the switch is stuck ON.

As hookup mentioned, there are several reasons why the pump wouldn't work. Follow up on his points

lazy grady

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
8/1/24 "Referencing: if the pump doesn't pressurize the water system it won't shutoff. Could be no water, hose leak or broken pressure switch inside the pump housing".

I note that as I remember, I did drain fresh water tank over the winter. From the above referenced correspondence, this may have caused the problem? If so, how do you correct it?

Water is in the tank. Filled it.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'll assume it was working correctly before the Winter when you drained the tank. I usually blow out my water lines with air and put some pink water system antifreeze in my tank, pump it thru and blow out again. This protects the pump from freezing. That may have happened to you.

I would recommend you find the pump.

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Could be no water, hose leak or broken pressure switch inside the pump housing".

It's often this, particularly on older pumps where the pressure switch get stuck.
Some pressure pumps have on center top where the pump membrane nd switch is a kind of screw to regulate when the switch kicks in, turning it may free the switch, but usually not for s long time.

However, without finding the pump it's difficult to find out the problem.

Chris

lazy grady

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
i will search for the pump access. it appears I will have to cut an access hole. gw custmer service could only give me the diagam of where the 2 pumps are But "no access advice"

white diamond

Reaction score
i will search for the pump access. it appears I will have to cut an access hole. gw custmer service could only give me the diagam of where the 2 pumps are But "no access advice".
On my 1992, you have to remove the tackle drawers and their whole cabinet under the port seat.

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
i will search for the pump access. it appears I will have to cut an access hole. gw custmer service could only give me the diagam of where the 2 pumps are But "no access advice"
Honestly i would exclude the possibility that you need to cut a access hole to replace a pump.
Pumps usually don't last very long as they corrode, maybe 3-5 years depending where they are installed, but mostly it's the humid bilge area. So the pump was changed already several times before.

8/1/24 pumps are under pull out draw compartment under the port seat. plan to access them tomorrow
Ah ok, you figured it out, happy pump hunting!

Chris

lazy grady

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
SHURflo Diafram Pumps Model # 8050-204-133

8/3/24 Reference: SHURflo Diafram Pumps Model # 8050-204-133

Found the 2 fresh water pumps on my GW 24 Explorer Stern Drive. They service the fresh water system on a lavatory in the cabin and also a shower on the gun/side wall of the cockpit. Last winter I emptied the water tank thinking I did not want the water to freeze. When powering up the system (pumps) this summer, the pumps continually ran irrespective of cutting them off at the switch panel. To cut them off, I had to pull the fuse. I note that when initially cutting the pumps on this summer, I did not have any water in the tank. I did fill it up but the pumps continue to run.

Your thoughts on repairing or replacing?

H. Wayne Clark

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
When the pumps run do they pump water or not?

A running pump with a pressure switch will switch off if pressure reached trigger point.
If not, then either the pressure is not enough (because lack of water), the membran defective or the switch stuck.

Chris

seasick

Reaction score
Something is not right here. If the correct switch is off and we assume the switch works, the pump can't run, water or no water.
Again I ask; What fuse did you pull that made the pumps stop running?

Also, are you sure you are hearing fresh water pumps running and not bilge pumps?

lazy grady

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
8/3/24 no water is available. I located the 2 fresh water pumps. They run continuously with the switch on or off. When I pull the designated fuse in the fuse panel the pumps stop. I have cleaned the switch terminals with WD 40 to no avail. Switch does not cut off pump.

lazy grady

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Something is not right here. If the correct switch is off and we assume the switch works, the pump can't run, water or no water.
Again I ask; What fuse did you pull that made the pumps stop running?

Also, are you sure you are hearing fresh water pumps running and not bilge pumps?
8/3/24 If the membrane is defective in one or the other pumps, is it repairable? How do I test the switch?