Where are all the 17 spirits?

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
They're hard to find....I got one for my son two years ago and it took awhile to find one that was any good. We spend the first winter putting new hardware, thru-hulls on it etc... He has had a ball with it...GREAT boat....

psilvers

Reaction score
I have one with me in Kansas. I bought it in MD, but I have been living in Kansas since 1997.

The only problem is that my boat needs to see more salt water! She gets really tired of the fresh water lakes.

Pete

Gio

Reaction score
Pete bring it on up and will find some salt.Lol.
I wonder if everyone seems to hang on to them or they didn't make many in ther 5yr run.

UpGrady

Reaction score
I brought one up from Atlantic City to Lake Ontario in 2005. Ran it for 2 years before I bought my Sailfish. It turned up at my marina last summer, still running! Great boat, I miss it!

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I know this is a little off topic but There is a trail in barnegat nj, I walk my dog on it every weekend,

on the trial someone has a what I think is a 166 sting ray sitting in the woods from the early 70's. It's a mess but looks like the hull is in good shape. I'll take a pic and post it see if someone can i.d. the model.

psilvers

Reaction score
Gio-

I have a better idea - meet me in Alabama and we'll do some fishing in the Gulf! Although I grew up fishing on Long Island (NY) and I love NYC, the Gulf has become my favorite fishing spot.

Pete

Gradywolf

Reaction score
I love my 97 Spirit although mine stays in fresh water almost all the time and I live less that 3.5 hours from the coast.

I have looked online trying to see what the value of my boat might be but it is very hard to find used Spirits out there.

vmccaffrey

Reaction score
I've had my 1993 with a 115 Yamaha for five years. It is a fun boat. I pull to New England every sumer from VA. My only complaint is it can be a little wet. My wife would like to upgrade to a Sportsman 18 but I can't bring myself to spending the extra doe.

pilotart

Reaction score
We have had ours since 1995, with a Yamaha 90 and Honda 10 kicker.

Great little boat and has a solid feel and great handling.

Agree on the "wet" at times, but that is characteristic of center console, Sportsman 18 wouldn't solve it.

You would have to step up to a dual console for a dry ride.

Gio

Reaction score
How is the fuel tank holding up on the Spirits? Anybody have to replace one yet?

pilotart

Reaction score
Have seen no mention of a problem.

I scrapped my 1971 Aristocraft 19 in 1995 when I bought the Spirit.

I saved its 18 Gallon Gas tank and have stored it outside in the weather.

It is easy to load in my car (MINI Cooper) to transport gas for the Spirit and has shown no symptoms of any problems going on 40 years of age.

This is just a bare aluminum tank and looks solid, have never seen the Spirit's tank.

cuttyhunk

Reaction score
My brother in Richmond, VA has one that he will entertain offers on. It is a 1993 with a 130 Yamaha 2-stroke, bimini and trailer.
It is currently in indoor storage and kept on the trailer.
Reply to this thread and I will forward contact info, if interested.