Yamaha Helm Master EX calibration?

Twist

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I'm new to owning a boat with this digital steering system and using the HelmMaster joy stick so from that perspective, I've been out practicing with the system and it's not quite doing what I think it should be doing. For example, with all motion stopped and the boat still in the water, moving the joystick to the side creates a considerable amount of aft movement of the boat, so much so that it's pretty much impossible to use in, say docking along a bulkhead. Rotating the boat seems to work pretty well as does stay point. I'm ready to accept that I'm still learning to finesse this system but for the present, when docking along side a bulkhead or dock, I'm much more comfortable splitting the throttles to position the boat.

Another example is running the boat in single throttle lever mode, the engines are almost always +/- 100 rpm off from each other. Maybe that's just within the margin of control but does that indicate some finer calibration is needed?

Is there a boat specific calibration that must be done to get the best result from this system?

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I'm much more comfortable splitting the throttles to position the boat.
Yep, me too and this is the reason why i don't consider a joystick system.
Joystick or similar systems are more widely used on big ships, but they can't make miracles moving a boat with outboards.
Basically it does (and can't do other) nothing else than using the controls and the wheel.
This become a bit better with digital steering (DEC) where each outboard can turn independently from the other/s, that provide particular ways of moving but i am not sure what level of DEC you have, if.
However, i suggest you to train yourself to use the joystick and get used to it's function and the movements of the boat.
If you feel that calibration is necessary then you probably should hire a Yamaha Tech with broad knowledge about this systems to make sure that calibration is done correctly.

Another example is running the boat in single throttle lever mode, the engines are almost always +/- 100 rpm off from each other. Maybe that's just within the margin of control but does that indicate some finer calibration is needed?
Not sure if that is related to the HelmMaster, but the Yamaha's should synch correctly, at least using both controls and they are more or less at same position.
Not sure if my digital control can do single control use as i never tried that for habit, but next time i'm out i will try if it works and how it keeps rpm's.

Chris

Twist

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Not sure if that is related to the HelmMaster, but the Yamaha's should synch correctly, at least using both controls and they are more or less at same position.
Not sure if my digital control can do single control use as i never tried that for habit, but next time i'm out i will try if it works and how it keeps rpm's.

Chris

I can sync the engines with the levers reasonably together. The slight discrepancy is when operating it in single lever mode.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
yes. the joystick needs to be calibrated. the ap compass also needs to be calibrated. and you'll have to make sure that the engines are trimmed horizontal to the boat hull so you don't get prop wash impacts. there is a small blurb in the DEC manual about calibration. if you don't have your hard copy you can download a pdf from the Yamaha site (helpful to have with you anyway). still really haven't used mine since you do need flat water and some time to perform the calibration. that's when i usually just keep heading out to fish.:)

if you open some data windows on a gauge screen (CL7 or your MFD) you will get unrounded rpm numbers and you'll see that they are actually in sync. my CL7 does the rounding issue, but a gauge screen shows the sync. single throttle or both.

good luck, ron

Przjohn

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
When you move the Joystick to the side it will also pivot. If the stern is coming faster than the bow turn the stick to the bow as you move it to the side. The joystick goes in more than one direction at a time. You cn be moving sideway while turning or moving forward or backwards at the same time.