Yes

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grady discontinued this boat because at the time sales in that size range were down. There are many reasons for this, there was a 26islander, 24/25voyager and the 27/28 sailfish along with the express. There were too many models and they were not selling enough of certain boats so they decided to eliminate some to boost sales. They also needed room for a bigger boat which is already out there. Also, the 265 was the most expensive of the bunch and had low sales do to that. Owner's seem to be very pleased, I am. For my need sit suits me well. My Dad and I were not a fan of the euro transom boats for fishing purposes, this was one of the few boats without one. This is just personal pref. I fish offshore whenever the weather permits and getting a 5'9" stand up rod around the engines is no problem. Only real complaint is that the wide beam is nice, but in a nasty sea if you turn beam to you may rock a little more then boats with narrower beams. It really is not noticeable until you are in tight 6+ ft seas. The express design is nice but the lee jr outriggers do get in the way when walking forward. A few more inches would be nice, but luckily there is plenty to grab a hold of so it just takes getting used to after being on a walk around. The helm is nice for my use. On long 2-3+ hour rides offshore it is nice to have a place for the crew to sit and relax and be out of the elements if we choose. Also, the line of sight on this boat is great with the center helm. Only negative to the helm is that the windshield is low. I am 5'11" and cannot drive without having the canvas closed in the front, otherwise I get wind thrown in my face at 25-30+kts!!! As for ride, it can handle whatever you are willing to throw at it and when fully loaded it feels like a bigger boat.

I do not have many interior shots, but I attached what I have. I have exterior shots posted in the pictures forum under "Grady 265 with light blue hull". If you have any questions pm me and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

HPIM0522.jpg

cabin (has all the cushions and canvas inside ...it was the day we picked the boat up)

HPIM0524.jpg

standing at the helm looking through the cabin door

HPIM0523.jpg

the head to stbd

HPIM0525.jpg

the cockpit view from the helm chair

HPIM0526-1.jpg

300qt fishbox centerline with a sink and rigging station to stbd also tackle draws stbd below the sink

HPIM0527.jpg

300qt fish box centerline and 40gal livewell to port

Hope this gives you an idea of what it looks like!! The boat is shrinkwrapped and winterized for the winter. If you want more pics, I can take them in March. Let me know. Good luck on your decision!!

Frank

Reaction score
It was discontinued because it didn't sell well enough. It was not much less expensive than the 28 Sailfish, and people paid the premium for the Sailfish, obviously deciding the extra cost was worth it for the additional room and features.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I have fished my 265 Express two seasons and love the boat.

Before I purchased this boat, I sat down and had a "heart to heart" with myself about what I was actually going to be using the boat for. I decided that while long weekends at local anchorages with my wife were nice, the real reason is for fishing, mostly for offshore fishing.

This ment twin power, lots of fuel (250 gallons), big live well, big fish locker. My wife required seperate head, stove and fridge.

I fish my boat alot and it takes everything I have thrown at it.

What do most people do when fishing offshore and score a 70" mako with still 16 hours until back at port? We pulled all of the ice bags out of the locker, put the fish in the locker and repacked it with ice!

sharkinthebox1.jpg

sharkinthebox2.jpg

Now thats a big locker!

One good note to mention, the center helm is awesome! Probally will never go back to a boat with out it!

If I had to find something wrong with the boat, it is that the earlier ones cant be repowered with four strokes. The scuppers are at the water line fully loaded.

Other than that, the boat is awesome!

Tim

Frank

Reaction score
Two other issues I can think of are no transom door and you can't stand straight up in the head if you are 5'9". Also, the older versions have a reputation for being tender in a following sea.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Frank,
Good point on the head..... I am 6'1".... but, when comparing to other 26' boats (even quite a few 28 footers) I found this head to be the best there was....
I wasnt too concerned with the tuna door. When lucky enough to have caught, I have been able to pull 300 lb fish over the sides of boats before. I can count the fish that I have personal caught over 300lbs on one hand, without any fingers.... :D
Tim

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishingFINattic:

As for repowering, I have a 2002 which is the original design and I have F225's. If you check out my pics I have posted in the pictures forum or fishing report forum you can see my boat loaded for offshore fishing. I have 700lbs of ice on board, offshore gear, 6man life raft on the bow and full fuel. The scuppers are above the waterline with about 1"+ to spare. I have been in seas to 8ft and had them crash on the transom and no water has yet come through the folding door into the cockpit. I even backed down on a fish this year and did not have water in the cockpit. Repowering should not be a problem. If you are really concerned, there are lighter 4 strokes out there from other brands which may be a viable option. I am partial to Yamaha's because they have been very reliable on my boats, but there are some other very good engines out there that you could consider as well if you are worried about the weight. Going from the two to four strokes will add roughly 200lbs total. Next time you run offshore with full fuel, have a 200lb buddy stand in the transom well and look at the scuppers and their location, this should give you an idea of how it will sit with 4 strokes if you were to ever repower.

I like that pick of the mako btw!!! I guess you did not have to worry about him thrashing around in there with that tight fit!!! I'm buying a canyon bag for this season. I do not want to deal with tuna sloshing around ondeck after we fill that well!!!

As for fish over 300lbs, when I have that problem I'll worry about it. Nomatter what 26' boat you have you will not get it onboard easily. Even the outboard boats that claim to have a transom door will not work...they are TOO SMALL as well as high off the water. Any fish up to 250lbs can easily be brought over the side, I know many charter boats with transom doors that lift 250lb big eyes right over the gunwale. If it is bigger then that just lift harder!!!!! Or tow it in....old man in the sea style. A fish that big on a boat this size needs a fun story anyways!!

As for the head height, I have to agree that most boats in this class have similar issues. For my use it is just fine. IMHO, taking up any more space for a head on a boat this size would be a waste. Like you, I use the boat to fish a lot and that is where I want my space.

Frank: As for a following sea, any boat will be tender in these conditions. Yes, this boat does have a rep for being tender but it really comes down to finding the right running speed and trimming the boat out correctly. Unfortunately, this hull does require you to use tabs so anyone who does not use them correctly or adjust them when needed will notice the boat being more tender then others. From what I have found, many captains do not adjust tabs when they should. I have been on other 265's where the captain running the boat was too lazy to adjust the tabs and the boat was more tender. As soon as I suggested adjusting the tabs and he did, it ran way better. I'm not saying this is always the case, but I have noticed this boat requires the use of tabs a little more then other boats. This may be a reason it got this rep, some boaters may not be used to using tabs as often as needed and may just think it is the boat and cannot be adjusted. I have ran a handful of other boats from various makes as well and really do not notice a difference in riding in a following sea, if it is more tender it is really nominal.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Gradyfish,

I sent you a PM, but will include the picture for all to see.

This is my 2000 Grady transom. The boat is powered by twin 200 HPDI's. The top picture is in the water fully loaded, the bottom is the boat out of the water.

When full of fuel, the scuppers are about 1/2 under water. With 150 gallons or less, the scuppers are totally out of the water.

GradyTransom.jpg

I think 2002 is the year that they changed the scupper location.

One thing to note about keeping your catch, the live well is also insulated.... When heading on and over nighter, I pack the fish locker with ice and the live well with ice (and usually a bucket of chum). I have a cork plug that gets installed so that the slosh of liquid stays nice and cold.

I can fit six nice yellow fin (heads removed) in the fish locker + 20 mahi.

Then I start filling the live well.

We had a day that we loaded up with dolphin.... 44 to be exact.... all fit with ice and no problems!!!

mahi.jpg

They say you can really tell a fishing boat by its fish box!!!

Good luck

Tim

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also use the livewell. When we shark I usually fill the livewell with all my bait rigged and ready to go and fill the fishbox with ice and buckets of chum. When we run the canyon I put my food in the livewell and then fill the fishbox with ice and a 150qt cooler with ice. This is more then enough ice, but with a limit of 80lb yellowfins, not close to enough room. That is why I have opted to go for a large canyon bag as well. In reality, if finding a place for that many fish on the boat is my biggest problem, I need not worry, we will figure something out!!!

Very nice catch with the mahi!!!

mronzo

Reaction score
I have a 2000 265 with t-200 Oxs. I bought the boat used in Nov '03.
I agree that it's the best 26' outboard cabin boat easily if not the best overall 26' cabin boat.

Even with OXs I cruise faster and use less fuel doing so than any inboard
26' gas boat.

Yeah you've got to love that fishbox!

Frank

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
This is my 2000 Grady transom. The boat is powered by twin 200 HPDI's. The top picture is in the water fully loaded, the bottom is the boat out of the water.

When full of fuel, the scuppers are about 1/2 under water. With 150 gallons or less, the scuppers are totally out of the water.

Tim

So the scuppers are under water on the 2000 with the 2 strokes (HPDIs) when the gas tanks are full? I hadn't heard this before. Don't you need to keep the tanks full to avoid condensation?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Frank said:
So the scuppers are under water on the 2000 with the 2 strokes (HPDIs) when the gas tanks are full? I hadn't heard this before. Don't you need to keep the tanks full to avoid condensation?

Frank,

The scuppers are partialy submerged on my boat when the fuel tanks are full. This will be seen on the 2000 and 2001 models and is more noticable when both tanks are full and the boat is emty (no gear to shift the weight forward) AND the motors lifted out of the water. To be fair, I have added a forth battery back there that adds some weight, and my boat does not have the hot water heater option. The hot water heater is installed up front and would offset some of the stern weight helping to put the scuppers higher out of the water.

I do not keep my tanks full. I keep about 15 gallons in the reserve and between 50-130 in the main. The boat holds 250 gallons of fuel, most inshore trips I burn 25 gallons, most sharking trips about 75 gallons. I only fill them up when I go to the canyons (about 100 miles one way) Even then, I burn 166-175 gallons. But the extra is reserve. No need to carry around an extra 600+ lb of weight!

I have never had a problem with condensation. I do have 10 micron racors in the fuel lines, but dont really notice water in them.

Tim

jehines3

Reaction score
Unless you trailer, go for sure bliss and get a marlin. They are cheaper (sea V2 hull) and more availible than both boats your describe. The aft cabin eats 6'6" rods for lunch. As others here pointed out in another thread, the aft cabin on a sailfish will not swallow big rods.

My Marlin is 32'7" overall and has a 10'7" beam, it is very noticable versus my friends 272 sailfish. We sleep four on board with no problem and the head is a pretty good size. My wife likes it, but we both want a 360 express. When used one's get under $100k, we are in...

As far as fish storage...

RearDeck.jpg

jh

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I looked hard at the Marlin... couldnt justify the extra cost of operating the boat.

If you buy one powered with F225's you are looking at 80K+ for a nice boat. If you buy one powered with two strokes, you end up with a boat that cruises in the low 20's..... push the throttle a little and you end up with fuel economy of 1 mpg......

I dont have any kids and over night maybe 5 or 6 nights per year so room below is not nessary. The 265 has a 9'6" beam, and with the transom setup I believe the cockpit is the same as the marlin. I logged over 30 offshore trips last year and same for local inshore trips so fishing space is paramount.....

Just couldnt see moving that much weight......

The 265 cruises nicely at 28-30 mph with 1.5mpg fuel burn fully loaded.

Lightly loaded (75 gallons of fuel and two people) she is 1.7 ot 1.8..... I am not sure but I dont think you will see that with a marlin.

Dont get me wrong..... the marlin is amazing and has tons of features for a 30'er...... me - personaly - choose to sacrifice comfort for performance....

Tim

jehines3

Reaction score
I hear you bro, I hate my floscan, it is the most pessimistic piece of equipment on my boat...I got 1.0 mpg on my 140 mile delivery with carbed two strokes. the guy I bought the boat from ran to the canyon allot, but I'm sure it cost him.

At 28 knts I'd burn around 34gph. my WOT is around 35k. My boat was a comprimise given age and power, but the price was too good and my wife liked it. If I could have ponied up for a 30 express, I would have. two kids to put through college 16 years from now left me with the decision to put money into appreciable accounts for college rather than depreciating boat fund :? .

I've been on the sailfish and it is a sweet boat, it is why I bought a GW. The center helm on the express is wierd, but I've never driven one, but flow in the cockpit looks awkward IMO. I'll be going to the OC boat show in Feb to check out some nice new stuff that I'll buy used in 8-10 years.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have to agree about fuel efficiency. Sp far the worst I got was on my canyon trip, ran out in 6+ft head sea with nasty rollers and a head wind as well. With full fuel and gear running 14kts we stayed above 1.1mpg and that is not even on plane. That is basically your worst possible fuel efficiency you eill ever see on a 265 express under nasty conditions. Once it calmed a little I was able to plane out with full fuel and gear I was between 1.3 and 1.4 running around 27kts still running into 5footers. With half to 3/4 fuel I avg 1.5-1.7mpg. On calm days I usuaully push the throttles as hard as I can go and still keep fuel burn around 1.4-1.5mpg, this is usually running around 30kts+. I may do a prop swap, a buddy of mine did and is gettign slightly better fuel burn and a higher cruise speed with a prop with more pitch. I plan to try his on the boat in the spring since I go inbefor him. I will let you know how I make out and if I do change them or keep what I'm running now.

I do agree that both the marlin and sailfish are great boats overall, I just could not justify the transom for my uses, it seems with every new redesign that the fishermen moves further and further from the transom and fishing becomes more difficult. If your fishing is mainly inshore this would not be a problem, but anyone fishing bluewater will hate it after a few trips. I wish Grady would redesign their transoms and eliminate fixed bench seats and go with insole boxes again instead of boxes in the transom. The marlin's only flaw IMO is the transom design, otherwise it is a very well layed out boat. As soon as they do that it might be time to move up again. Until then I will keep my boat until I can afford one of the smaller sportfish boats I design....hmm with my calcs haha maybe in ten years if I don't eat or spend any money I could buy a boat I design..... with no options or electronics lol

twin yams

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
i have a 2001 265 with 2003 200 hpdi's located in east moriches, boat is now shrinkwrapped- but i usually splash it around april 15- you can come check it out in spring and i will even take you for a ride if we can -- i did this same research last year before my purchase and i am glad i went with the 265-- i have never done an overnighter-just day trips, so the extra sleep capacity of the 282 means nothing to me and the transom is far superior, without a doubt on the 265--the floor space of the cockpit is almost identical in square ft., but much easier to fish at/near transom on 265-- i strongly doubt that the 282 rides better, i bet the rides are close regardless of which one is at all better-- the seating arrangement is great for my kids and my offshore crew, had myself and 4 others to the canyon and everybody was very comfortable-- we were in 3-5's with 6's mixed in and we were fine(still doing 25 mph), when it flattened out for the ride home we were doing 32 mph and used 155 gals total (fished the dip, out of moriches)-- good luck-- i do like the tuna door on the 282, wish 265 had that !

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
265 express thoughts from downunder

Although i won't have my 265 for another 36 hours....and I've never set foot on one , I wanted to confirm what the current owners have already said about the fishability of the cockpit . This will be my sixth fishing boat and my first American vessel. Whilst I have admired many of the outboard powered fishing boats built in your country i have never been able to understand the need for or practicality of outboards on pods or transom extensions.......for fishing boats. It is difficult enough having one or two props and legs positioned in the middle of the transom when you are trying to work a gamefish within gaffing or tagging range, but to try and reach out up to 6 feet with short stiff boat rods means some lost fish. My last boat was an Australian cat and even though the motors were tucked up against the transom being on the corners caused us to loose a couple of fish when they made a sudden dive towards the back of the boat.
I have been an admirer of Grady's for some time and stepped aboard my first one (a new sailfish and a marlin) at a dealer in virginia 2 years ago. Whilst I loved most things about them I could not understand the rationale in the transom layout for a serious fishing boat.
Then whist trolling the net (i never did learn to surf) back home and nearly buying a 280 Scout....... they have a great cockpit, shame about the helm setup and the transom extension; I discovered the 265 Express Wow everything I want in a trailerable fishing machine.
Given the strong feelings most current owners have expressed in this forum about their 265's and their particularly good fishing features I wonder if grady management needs to reconsider the 265 model as a more fishable vessel. Or at least look at the transom layout of their supposed fishing models.
I for one, having the only 265 express in Australia am quite happy to have a truly unique and very special craft designed ( it appears ) by fishing enthusiasts, not a commitee trying to please as many interests as possible and get the biggest market share!
I hope to have some photos soon of my special part of the world and a 265 in the forground.....cheers from OZ