Fresh water tank filling issues.

deepseaguy

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
We just purchased a 208 Adventure a few weeks ago. I tried to fill the fresh water tank through the aft port side filler cap. The hose inlet appears to be in tact and the input hose doesn’t seem to be clogged when I put a flexible line into it about 3 feet. However, when i try to fill the tank with even low pressure, water comes right back out and nothing goes into the tank. Any suggestions on further troubleshooting?IMG_2508.jpeg

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
have you tried using the fresh water? is the tank full? did you get a survey on the boat, did it mention anything about the fresh water tank/system?

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Some models have a fresh water gauge. On my 330 it's on the wall in the head. Do you have one???

seasick

Reaction score
The tank is either full or the fill is clogged. It's a pain to get to the plumbing to check. Try running a snake into the filler to see if a blockage is present.

Are you using the correct filler? Depending on model year, it should be under the folding flap in the motor well Port side)

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Doesn't sound like a vent problem. Maybe it's full. Does the pump work? Can you get fresh water to pump out? If so empty the tank and fill it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
However, when i try to fill the tank with even low pressure, water comes right back out and nothing goes into the tank.
Based on what you wrote here... since water backs up in the hose and stays there, the tank is either full or there is a major blockage. Or you're using the wrong hole to put the water hose into :)

Reactions: Halfhitch

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Took me a long time to figure this out, and maybe you are having the same issue. The freshwater fill on my seafarer is on the front of the helm passenger seat box.
Just like the gas fill, the fill tube and the vent are in the same fitting under the cap.
Putting water straight in floods the vent, and backs everything up.
Finally, I took a close look with a flashlight, and discovered that the fill tube opening goes down at about a 30° angle, and the vent is above it. By shoving the end of the hose into the fill, the vent is completely free to do its thing, and it fills very quickly.

Reactions: deepseaguy

deepseaguy

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
have you tried using the fresh water? is the tank full? did you get a survey on the boat, did it mention anything about the fresh water tank/system?
It’s not full. It pumps out the little bit that’s in the tank either out of the outlet near the filler on the front of the motor well, or out of the port hand wash spigot then stops.

deepseaguy

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Took me a long time to figure this out, and maybe you are having the same issue. The freshwater fill on my seafarer is on the front of the helm passenger seat box.
Just like the gas fill, the fill tube and the vent are in the same fitting under the cap.
Putting water straight in floods the vent, and backs everything up.
Finally, I took a close look with a flashlight, and discovered that the fill tube opening goes down at about a 30° angle, and the vent is above it. By shoving the end of the hose into the fill, the vent is completely free to do its thing, and it fills very quickly.

deepseaguy

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Same filler location. I tried to shove the hose in there and do that. I might chop the end of the hose off and try again. Thank you for the reply.

deepseaguy

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Doesn't sound like a vent problem. Maybe it's full. Does the pump work? Can you get fresh water to pump out? If so empty the tank and fill it.
Pump works. Pumped out the but that was in there and then it spit air.

deepseaguy

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
We pumped the little bit that was in there. We did not get a survey. We tested the systems and it pumped fine so we didn’t think there would be an issue filling it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's pretty easy to see the vent hole in the deck hole - it will make sense once you look at it. Even if you can't shove the hose in past it, just take notice as you fill and avoid the vent hole.

Now, if the vent line has a low spot in it, then it's filled with water and will need to be drained out or blown out. Then fix the low spot.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Since we have determined that you are using the correct fill, the vent is functional and the electric pump is working it sounds like a blockage somewhere along the fill line - have you tried either blasting water in by sealing around the hose and fill with rags or using a wet vac to suck out the clog. The only other thing would be a crushed or kinked hose. The boat manual should have a diagram fr the pluming lines - they are available on the GW site if you do not have one. Good Luck
PS Have you checked to see if there is a filter by the pump. The filters can become clogged and severely limit the amount of the water the pump can send.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Since we have determined that you are using the correct fill, the vent is functional and the electric pump is working it sounds like a blockage somewhere along the fill line - have you tried either blasting water in by sealing around the hose and fill with rags or using a wet vac to suck out the clog. The only other thing would be a crushed or kinked hose. The boat manual should have a diagram fr the pluming lines - they are available on the GW site if you do not have one. Good Luck
PS Have you checked to see if there is a filter by the pump. The filters can become clogged and severely limit the amount of the water the pump can send.
I was just going to say...kink in the hose?