Trim tabs

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Why do you want trim tabs? Is there a specific reason? Does the boat list to particular sides/do you need to get the bow down or up in conditions you run in?

jmoneilthe2

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Why do you want trim tabs? Is there a specific reason? Does the boat list to particular sides/do you need to get the bow down or up in conditions you run in?
Most GW boats over 22 foot generally have them. I’m asking if I should get them.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It depends on you and your boating needs/preferences. No, you "shouldn't" get them - but maybe you "should". More details about what you want/need the boat to do would help.

Reactions: igblack87

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a GW Adventure 208. Most folks would tell me to get trim tabs. For my boating, I have not found the need to get them. The boat tracks well w/o them in most scenarios. Until I ride on a similar boat and experience the benefit, I will not install them.

jmoneilthe2

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Other than my GW, I have a 21 foot bay boat that doesn't have trim tabs. I am constantly asking my wife to sit on a particular side to event the boat out. I figured if I ran into the same thing, I could use Trim Tabs on my GW. That is why the question was asked.

jmoneilthe2

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Other than my GW, I have a 21 foot bay boat that doesn't have trim tabs. I am constantly asking my wife to sit on a particular side to event the boat out. I figured if I ran into the same thing, I could use Trim Tabs on my GW. That is why the question was asked.

Thor's Outlaw

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
With a new install Id look at Zipwake. I might make the upgrade this winter on mine. They are pricey but worth it if you spend a lot of time on the boat.

Reactions: jmoneilthe2

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm in the minority here, but if you run on a sloppy ocean they make a huge difference. I took off the 9x12 tabs that came with the boat and put on 12x18 tabs - huge difference. In most conditions, I can push the tabs down, put it on auto pilot and just run. Before I made that change, I had to have my hand on the throttle at all times, back off at the top of the swell, then back on. Otherwise I would launch.

I can honestly say that without these bigger trim tabs, I would have sold the boat. It just didn't ride right.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
OK, that helps - thanks. Trim tabs will NEVER hurt - how much you need them will depend on your actual use. The GW will be much less sensitive to where a certain person sits. MUCH less. There's other advantages to tabs, but I would think at this point you've already reserached that -- so no need to go into detail here.

Personally... I'd be interested to try the Zipwake, as well. I love regular hydraulic tabs by Bennett because are just so darned reliable. But that Zip system is intriguing! :)

With that said... the BEST advice I can give... GET THE BOAT and go boating a bunch of times before you decide! ;)

Last edited:

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
if you dont mind spending the money, i would get them. when retracted, there is no drawback. you can use as needed. at this point, i would probably at least get electric tabs with a switch that has led position indicators. if you have some $$$$ to burn, get Seakeeper Ride system (not the gyro)

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Something to think about, or you might have already thought about it, or you might have enough $$$. The cost to install is relative to the money you have in the boat - do you want to keep it or do you plan to get rid of it? If you don't plan on having the boat more than a couple years from now...might be worth holding off on!

Reactions: Sdfish

kevgle

Reaction score
.I had the same boat without trim tabs.Had no problem Now I have 265 with trim tabs and hardly use them.Don't think you need them.If listing tell your crew to stand on other side

Reactions: Sardinia306Canyon

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Show me a post anywhere on the Internet that says , “I wish that my boat didn’t have trim tabs“.
I pulled the fuse...
I put thousands of offshore miles in all conditions without using them.

They can HURT when you use them. They can hurt when you set them for one condition (ie too much weight on one side) and then turn the boat....OR SOMEONE MOVES....
They can hurt when they are down and you are trying to back into a slip.
They can hurt when you don't know one is down even a tiny bit...

A tab is like dragging a foot in the water to compensate for a problem. Its is always better to tell someone to move...

If you get them get ones that indicate where they are and self-retract when you shut off.

Inboards need tabs. They can't change the angle of the drive shafts. Most outboard boats don't need tabs. the motor(s) can handle the job using TRIM

SPEND YOUR MONEY ON AUTOPILOT.

Last edited:

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Something to think about, or you might have already thought about it, or you might have enough $$$. The cost to install is relative to the money you have in the boat - do you want to keep it or do you plan to get rid of it? If you don't plan on having the boat more than a couple years from now...might be worth holding off on!
Agree with above. One of the reasons I am not getting them at this point, it is not worth the $$ for what I use the boat for. I will say, my average trips are offshore in SoCal and approx 30 miles out, up to this point I may have needed them 1 or 2 times heading back in. My boat is a 1999 model year and for the money I don't see the need to invest more into the boat at this point. If my auto pilot ever went, I would replace that right away though!

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I have a 180 Sportsman. I read before I put it in the water, that I would probably need trim tabs. I put on Lectrotabs, and I can't imagine running without them.

Msp381

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had a 208 w/o tabs and when I put them on I notice a world of difference. Glad I did and it wasn’t difficult. I have a buddy with zipwake tabs and he swears they are the next best thing. He also had a 208 with hydraulic trim tabs. I’m in the market and I will say I will never own a boat w/o tabs and if it’s didn’t come with them that would be the first addition. Just my opinion.

Reactions: enfish

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I pulled the fuse...
I put thousands of offshore miles in all conditions without using them.

They can HURT when you use them. They can hurt when you set them for one condition (ie too much weight on one side) and then turn the boat....OR SOMEONE MOVES....
They can hurt when they are down and you are trying to back into a slip.
They can hurt when you don't know one is down even a tiny bit...

A tab is like dragging a foot in the water to compensate for a problem. Its is always better to tell someone to move...

If you get them get ones that indicate where they are and self-retract when you shut off.

Inboards need tabs. They can't change the angle of the drive shafts. Most outboard boats don't need tabs. the motor(s) can handle the job using TRIM

SPEND YOUR MONEY ON AUTOPILOT.
yes, they do hurt when you use them incorrectly. just like many other things. doesnt mean that its not good to have them on a boat

Reactions: enfish

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I had a 208 w/o tabs and when I put them on I notice a world of difference. Glad I did and it wasn’t difficult. I have a buddy with zipwake tabs and he swears they are the next best thing. He also had a 208 with hydraulic trim tabs. I’m in the market and I will say I will never own a boat w/o tabs and if it’s didn’t come with them that would be the first addition. Just my opinion.
I am in 100% agreement with you. When I bought my 208, I was told I didn't need them. But after a year or two wishing I had them, I installed them myself. Best upgrade to the boat I've ever done. I'd never own another boat without them. Even on days people say you don't need them, I always at least use them to level out the boat so it doesn't lean into the wind.